Elvas Tower: Incorrect Dispatcher Voice Responses to "Tab" in Manual Mode - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Incorrect Dispatcher Voice Responses to "Tab" in Manual Mode Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:05 AM

Version: X1887
Routes: various; Activities: various
Symptom:
1.In various activities and routes, when typing "Tab" or "Shift-Tab" while facing a red signal, the signal is cleared to yellow, but the dispatcher says "Permission Denied".
Example: Default Marias Pass Route, default activity "Dawn Tank Train", at startup.

2.In other cases, the response is "Permission Denied" and the signal is not changed, but the message is repeated endlessly every few seconds.
It is necessary to save, quit, and resume to stop the message.

I now recall that I have not heard the response "Permission Granted" for some time (i.e. in any recent OR versions) when it should have occurred.

Does anyone else have similar experiences?

Edited today: The repeating message was already reported as a bug on 2013-12-05: Bug #1258063 in Bug Tracker.

#2 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:36 AM

Yes, I do. The Looping issue of "permission denied" ocurred to me in conjunction with the "ArgumentOutOfRange Exception" on Loops that I reported a while ago, as this also led to Signal Problems.

Also, I seem to have never heard a "permission granted" during the switching Tasks I did recently...

Cheers, Markus

#3 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

Sid P. The "permission denied guy" was turned back on a short time ago. He's a little cranky and completely clueless. Ignore him --- the signals work correctly when using the tab key. The Open Rails team is aware of it and will get around to firing him and putting a new hire with some common sense in place. Cheers rhs (Gerry)

#4 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:26 AM

In version X1889, the "permission denied guy" should be somewhat less repetitive in case of "permission denied".
As for "permission granted" in Manual mode : the poor bloke just sits there watching the signal, but the notice is send directly to the driver (or, in other words : the handling of the permission in Manual mode is done in a completely different part of the program - adding the 'voice' to that part of the code still needs to be sorted).

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#5 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:42 AM

View Postroeter, on 16 December 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

In version X1889, the "permission denied guy" should be somewhat less repetitive in case of "permission denied".
As for "permission granted" in Manual mode : the poor bloke just sits there watching the signal, but the notice is send directly to the driver (or, in other words : the handling of the permission in Manual mode is done in a completely different part of the program - adding the 'voice' to that part of the code still needs to be sorted).

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

Thanks Rob, when the time comes will there be a choice of voices? C3PO? Imagine Dr. Who for Permission Granted and Darth Vader for Permission Denied, the mind boggles at the possibilities. Cheers rhs (Gerry)

( :) my humble apologies to the pure of railroad among us )

#6 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:52 AM

Thanks, Rob, for the update. I just wondered if the fix had got lost.
Cheers,
Sid

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:47 AM

View Postroeter, on 16 December 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

Rob,
if you tell me where I can try to add the "voice".

#8 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 16 December 2013 - 08:47 AM, said:

Rob,
if you tell me where I can try to add the "voice".

Ahh - if I knew that by head, I would have added that line myself ...
But, admittedly, I do not remember the exact details of all of those thousands of lines of code I wrote over the last two years.
Try and follow the 'TAB' command (from "- Viewer3D.cs"), and it should bring you to where it all happens.
It's either somewhere in Signal.cs or in Train.cs - so perhaps you could also do a search for "granted" around there and see where that gets you.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#9 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:49 AM

Thanks Rob,
I looked at the code, found the related points, and saw that they are full of "permission granted" sound calls.
So I didn't start making code changes and first checked how the actual code works. I made a small activity where a signal is between the player train and a loose consist, and after pressing tab the guy gently granted me the permission both in AutoSignal and in Manual mode.
Then I made the test with a Bernina activity where the signal (or better two signals) is between the player train and an AI train.
By pressing the tab in AutoSignal mode I got no response and the signal remained red; switching to Manual mode the guy was again friendly with me and the signal switched to permission. If I pressed Tab again in this case, I got pairs of No response and Permissions denied, even if the first signal stayed in permission state (the second on in between remained red). Maybe this was due to the fact that further Tabs apply to further signals?
So I made a further test with an activity where the player train starts with no obstacles in front of it. In AutoSignal signals in front of the train are green and if I press Tab I don't get messages (that's OK). In Manual mode the first signal is closed. By pressing tab I get the permission granted sound and the signal opens. If I press tab again the second signal opens, however I get a "permission denied" sound. If I press tab again the third signal opens, however I get again a "permission denied" sound. So there is a malfunction in permission sounds here, that I will try to investigate, as it is well and easily reproducible.

#10 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:03 PM

I attach here a modified runactivity.exe, where I removed at least one case of wrong permission sound messages.
I kindly ask people that reported problems to test it, before I suggest the patch.
Attached File  RunActivity.zip (572.87K)
Number of downloads: 279

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users