• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pass loading time ending early Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

View PostLindsayts, on 26 November 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

One hopes something can be done, its one of these small issues that spoils an otherwise excellent ship.

Lindsay

It's on the list - but that list is getting longer by the day - reporting a bug or launching an idea definitely takes much less time than solving the problems or implementing those ideas ^_^ .

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#12 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

View Postroeter, on 26 November 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

It's on the list - but that list is getting longer by the day - reporting a bug or launching an idea definitely takes much less time than solving the problems or implementing those ideas :pleasantry: .

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

Thats the nature of fault repair, I once spent something like 300 hours over a 7 week perod trying to isolate (successfully) random crash's caused by (in the end) a faulty address allocation in a parralel ports interupt sevice routine. There's nothing like a "real time" fault in an operating system, application prorammers do not know they are alive :oldstry:.

My day job was a technician in a crossbar telephone exchange. These were a shrine to hard to find faults that required a massive amount of testing to isolate, particularly in the "common control" equipment.

Thanks for the update,
Lindsay

#13 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

Yes, I know that all too well.
I've spend my working life as a software engineer in the test-department for ship-bourne radar systems.
So 300 hours to find an error sounds familiar to me. Sometimes, though, the error occured after the equipment was installed on board the ship, and then you just didn't get 300 hours to sort out the problem!

What I dread for the work on OR, however, is the time rule for bug solving : the last 10% of the bugs take up 90% of the time. I wish I knew if I am down to that last 10% ....

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#14 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

View Postroeter, on 26 November 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

What I dread for the work on OR, however, is the time rule for bug solving : the last 10% of the bugs take up 90% of the time. I wish I knew if I am down to that last 10% ....

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

I think you are there.

#15 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:36 AM

Looks like you are there, already - rememeber that one I reported, where changing to manualy mode and back made to of the internal path Setups not be equal, thus Crash the sim? Took quite some time to resolve it, IIRC, but you did it. Now, the last one that I reported doesn´t seem to be too easy to be solved either... Well, everything´s manageable.

I, in the meantime since reporting the "Loop issue" (as I commonly call it now), started programming a Little helper to update the soup of my diesel loco fleet to have somewhat similar exhaust effects in OpR, the same vigilance Monitor Settings, ... . The program actually was done in 3 hours (it´s been my first attempt at parsing MSTS files in a program), but Debugging has now been going on for over a week... :/

Anyway, as for OpR: Always think, that in the end you will find the other end of the other end of the cord in the clew :pleasantry:

CHeers, Markus

#16 User is offline   Matej Pacha 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

I'm going to step in with my point of view:
1) There is no such a thing as a stopping by using the dynamic brake only. If the real world engine driver uses some kind of "dynamic brake" controller to stop the train, there is usually some kind of automatic system that will engage the pneumatic brake when the dynamic braking effect fades out. If there is such a feature in MSTS, just tell me where can I find the parameters and I can code it, at least I can try to.
2) In real world, train consists are elastic. If you use the train brake to stop, you should get 0 speed by sure. Sometimes drivers release the train brake right before the train stops and they use the locomotive brake to stop and hold the train. Then you can get some additional small speed oscilations caused by cars springing up and down (the couplers have springs). In ORTS I'd prefer to invoke the "train stopped" event after the train speed is zero at least for one second (as the time schedule would not be more precise). We should be able to detect that a train is supposed to be standstill and it is still moving (a train is at a platform with some small speed, etc.).

Cheers,

Matej

#17 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

Matej,
I don't stop trains with dynamic brake only. But it's enough that I have dynamic brake at let's say 10% (and the rest train brake) to get the non-perfectly-0-speed at station stops.

#18 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:16 PM

I think that the real problem lies in how the couplers are set up in the eng/wag file.

I think I read somewhere that if the first part of this line is set to 0cm you can set the second one to simulate coupler in/out movement much better, so using 0cm 5cm for a very short movement might get round the movement on arrival when using engine brake to hold the train.

#19 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

When you make a fierce brake application, there is bound to be a 'kick-back' from the coaches behind the engine.
That is pretty realistic, actually - if you ever had a ride in the rear coach of a long loco-hauled train, or, for that matter, in the front coach of a push-pull train, you will have noticed that - those coaches do move to and fro a bit before they are fully stopped.
Another point to remember is that OR is used to run trains in all era's - including, therefor, trains with unbraked coaches. Those will certainly give the engine a firm kick when stopped.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users