• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The infamous missing texture problem Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:59 AM

The fact that restoring the activity after the save you get the same memory usage as in the first run lets imagine that in this case there are no memory leaks, but simply an overloaded situation. The fact that there were about 15% of textures missing in the first run could be because memory is near to the danger limit. Using the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE version seems to me to be the only solution in your case...

#42 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:11 AM

I have just tested the sound changes introduced in X1869 and there appears to be a huge improvement in memory usage. An activity that I couldn't run for more than 50 mins without hitting the memory limit has now run for 90 mins without any memory creep that I can detect. In fact memory usage fell from the start to the point where I stopped the activity. This is actually what I would have expected from the nature of the activity.

The Sound process processor usage has also dropped markedly. From peaking at 85% on this activity and only just falling to 45% occasionally, it has now gone to a peak of 67% in the most traffic dense areas falling to minimums of 2% which are held for long periods.

So far, I haven't noticed any sound glitches and haven't been able to detect loss of sound on the Head Out camera as has been reported elsewhere. The volume in Head Out mode is very quiet though, much quieter than when in Cab when the sound can be almost deafening compared to all the outside camera views. I think the sound volume in Cab needs to be decreased or the outside sound volume needs to be increased further.

Dennis

#43 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 23 November 2013 - 12:59 AM, said:

The fact that restoring the activity after the save you get the same memory usage as in the first run lets imagine that in this case there are no memory leaks, but simply an overloaded situation. The fact that there were about 15% of textures missing in the first run could be because memory is near to the danger limit. Using the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE version seems to me to be the only solution in your case...

If this is the case, it appears to be a very serious limitation in OR. Clearly, the trend in all of the train simulators is for more realism and, by necessity, that usually means more memory usage. Horseshoe Curve is not a long route, though it is scenery intensive. Some things that might be contributing to the problem in that route may be a couple of scenery shapes that are poorly designed and may be big memory hogs--especially if they are used frequently in the route. I've seen that in some other routes (even before OR) where removing or replacing the culprit shape causes things to run much better. Same with rolling stock. Another issue that I believe causes a lot of problems is excess placement of stationary sound sources on a route. Of course, a combination of all of those things could conspire to cause memory problems. All of that said, a size limitation in the program itself that appears to be "fragile" is sort of like building an elaborate castle on sand. As more and more great features are added to OR, that memory limitation may rear its ugly head more and more often.

#44 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

I have written that if the memory is too low, it can be increased with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE switch. So I don't see where the limitation of OR is. The limitation is only if you stick to the max 2 GB memory version. But OR can't squeeze in these two GB more than what can be pushed into.
Provisionally you can find such /LARGEADDRESSAWARE version at page 4 of this thread.

#45 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

View Postrailguy, on 24 November 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

All of that said, a size limitation in the program itself that appears to be "fragile" is sort of like building an elaborate castle on sand.

It's not a size (or any other kind of) limitation in the program itself; we do not have anything that limits the amount of content that can be loaded. Operating Systems, however, have limits. If your desired content doesn't fit, tune down the options.

#46 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:18 AM

Since rel. 1870 there is again a memory leak, even if quite smaller than as was before rel. 1879.
With my standard test I have following memory values:
- before rel. 1869: 1370 MB, 1830 MB , 2302 MB
- rel. 1869: 1366 MB, 1406 MB, 1407 MB
- rel. 1875: 1376 MB, 1449 MB, 1480 MB.
So before rel. 1869 there was a leak of more than 450 MB, with release 1869 there was no memory leak and now there is a leak of about 30 MB.

#47 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

I'm going to try the 3 GB memory increase on my "guinea pig" activity on Horseshoe. I'll report back with the results.

#48 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

I just ran my "guinea pig" activity (referenced above) with the new memory setting--no missing textures! The bad news: the sound problems mentioned elsewhere in the bug section are definitely there in V1870.

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users