• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The infamous missing texture problem Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:43 AM

^ Where I see the missing texture problem is in routes with a lot of scenery, running long trains (which I typically do), with either a lot of loose consists or AI trains. Generally, it is those AI trains or loose consists that will have the missing textures. As noted, if one saves an activity right before a bunch of stuff (like an AI) has to load, then restart the sim from there, the AI will load without having missing textures. That's been my "workaround" for the problem, but it is not one that I like. I would have to suspect that the "memory leak" issue is one that a lot of files get loaded into the sim (say, a bunch of scenery, loose consists, or AI's) and that memory never gets freed up after those files are no longer needed.

Another thing that I've noticed is that certain sound files and the like may "disappear" if one switches camera angles a lot, say, from the front of the train to the back, etc. I suspect the issue may be the same--loading files every time that take space in memory that never gets freed up until one quits the game and restarts it.

#12 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:34 AM

If Content can only take up 1.6 GB of OpR´s Memory, why does the graph then Show 2 GB as the Maximum?

Wouldn´t it be helpfuly to either shrink the graph´s Y scale or add a line to / at the Magic 1.6 GB, as to make it easier to determine when a save and restart should be performed?

Cheers, Markus

#13 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

Good news here! I tried with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE switch on my 32bit computer (not forgetting to change the operating system setting), and Open Rails works well at least up to 1.9 GB (that was what I could test with my activity), where I first had problems at 1.6 GB.
Proof is here:
Attached Image: Open Rails 2013-11-18 06-50-34.jpg
and here:
Attached File  OpenRailsLog.zip (3.22K)
Number of downloads: 210

Only problem reported by the logfile is that the sound stream buffers are saturated, but this is only because probably they aren't fully released (maybe something to be investigated by Peter) (and anyhow their upper limit can be increased too). Sounds anyhow still could be heard well.

#14 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

markus_GE, on 18 November 2013 - 08:34 AM, said:

If Content can only take up 1.6 GB of OpR´s Memory, why does the graph then Show 2 GB as the Maximum?

The technical limit is 2GB, but in practice you'll struggle to get more than 1.6-1.7GB because of fragmentation and other things interfering in ways you can't predict.

#15 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

How can one increase the way OR can handle bigger longer trains with more then 1.6 GB, and where is this /LARGEADDRESSAWARE located? My system is a 64bit.

#16 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

I made another run with my test activity (only player train plus loose consists), by running two times from the big starting yard to an intermediate station and returning to the starting yard.
I found out some interesting results:
- memory usage at start: 1370 MB
- memory usage returning at start point: 1830 MB
- memory usage returning second time at start point: > 2 GB (reached 2048 MB and then started showing negative values :dance3: , with bar disappearing, see picture below:
Attached Image: Open Rails 2013-11-18 09-32-35.jpg
Also at the end of the second run I got no disappearing textures and no errors in the error log, only again some warnings of sound source buffers full.
As I run twice forth and twice back, at least the second time there shouldn't be increase of memory usage. Instead there is a considerable one. So in my opinion there are important amounts of memory that aren't released where they should.
A second thing I found is that not all sounds are correctly released. In fact when returning to the intermediate station for the second time, some sounds of the local loose consists were loaded a second time. I attach here a screenshot from the soundtest interface:
Attached Image: Soundinterface_Palmi2.jpg
The group of Le724wag.sms entries can be found on top and on bottom of the list, however they are duplicated entries of the same consist.

Referring to the request of ATW, it is not completely straightforward to generate and run such a release of OR, because it requires an extended development environment (Visual C# Express is not enough, or at least mine was not enough), and the change to the OS settings depends from the OS. I would prefer that the ORTS developers decide that within the SVN package there is a 2 GB as well as a Largeaddressaware version of OR, so that this is is easily available to everyone and people can select the version they prefer.

#17 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

Ok thanks for the info.

#18 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

Csantucci, on 18 November 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

I would prefer that the ORTS developers decide that within the SVN package there is a 2 GB as well as a Largeaddressaware version of OR, so that this is is easily available to everyone and people can select the version they prefer.

When I get my automatic builds back on-line (from a hard disk failure at the weekend), I should be able to include this easily there and in the weekly experimental builds. Of course, if you're on a 32bit OS, you'll need to reconfigure that if you want to see any difference, but at least on 64bit OSes people can just drop it in to try.

#19 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

That's great news, James!

#20 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

Csantucci, on 18 November 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

A second thing I found is that not all sounds are correctly released. In fact when returning to the intermediate station for the second time, some sounds of the local loose consists were loaded a second time. I attach here a screenshot from the soundtest interface: (...) The group of Le724wag.sms entries can be found on top and on bottom of the list, however they are duplicated entries of the same consist.

I am wondering if it is really a sound engine problem. Theoretically it is possible, the consists were really added the second time to the scene. (I haven't made any code investigations.)

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users