• You cannot reply to this topic

F6 Display Intenisty Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:19 PM

View Postvince, on 16 May 2017 - 09:34 PM, said:

The track monitor does fine for this but I would like to see the max view distance increased, about 3Km max view is about right.

The code that you tried in February was one of the first attempts and is not as optimized as the current version. After a lot of patches, it was improved by James.

I agree with you. At high speeds the labels distance range seems too small, to see labels well in advance.

I performed all my tests, with the distance range of 1000 meters for platforms and 500 meters for sidings, with moderate train speeds, where this new feature worked correctly.

Perhaps the attached patch might be close to your suggestion.

20170519 - Patch deleted by update.

#62 User is offline   timothyskinner 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:22 PM

View Postmbm_OR, on 17 May 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

The code that you tried in February was one of the first attempts and is not as optimized as the current version. After a lot of patches, it was improved by James.

I agree with you. At high speeds the labels distance range seems too small, to see labels well in advance.

I performed all my tests, with the distance range of 1000 meters for platforms and 500 meters for sidings, with moderate train speeds, where this new feature worked correctly.

Perhaps the attached patch might be close to your suggestion.

Attachment 20170517-F6-Speed-Maxdist.patch.txt

Thank you for your work here Mauricio..
One question..
111mph is high for some but low for others (for example TGV).. any easy means of changing up or down from 111mph during play or, as a second choice, setting before loading route? Options?

#63 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:33 AM

View Posttimothyskinner, on 17 May 2017 - 10:22 PM, said:

111mph is high for some but low for others (for example TGV).. any easy means of changing up or down from 111mph during play or, as a second choice, setting before loading route? Options?

With speeds greater than 111 mph the distance range for the labels changes to 3000 meters. This distance range is maintained until the train reaches 100 meters to the station. Returning then to the normal values of 1000 meters for platforms and 500 meters for sidings / cars. The cycle repeats if the train exceeds the speed of 111 mph.

This is an idea and can be improved

It is always better to code, although it requires more work, the options are much easier, but they always remain the last solution.

Regards,
Mauricio

#64 User is offline   timothyskinner 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:53 AM

View Postmbm_OR, on 18 May 2017 - 12:33 AM, said:

With speeds greater than 111 mph the distance range for the labels changes to 3000 meters. This distance range is maintained until the train reaches 100 meters to the station. Returning then to the normal values of 1000 meters for platforms and 500 meters for sidings / cars. The cycle repeats if the train exceeds the speed of 111 mph.

This is an idea and can be improved

It is always better to code, although it requires more work, the options are much easier, but they always remain the last solution.

Regards,
Mauricio

So, if I wanted to have label appear at 3km for speeds greater than 50mph then I could change the code from
50 mpS = 180.00 kmh = 111.85 mph
TO
22.35 mpS = 80.46 kmh = 50.0 mph
AND
SpeedMpS > 50 ? true
TO
SpeedMpS > 22.35 ? true

#65 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:39 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 17 May 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

Yeah, that's what my quick prototype does;

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/blush2.gif
Oh, whoops... and here I thought I was closely following this thread.
http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sorry.gif

#66 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:14 PM

View Posttimothyskinner, on 18 May 2017 - 06:53 AM, said:

So, if I wanted to have label appear at 3km for speeds greater than 50mph then I could change the code from...

Yes, you are right. But it would be better to set a unique fixed value.

We could also consider that by assigning a default distance range with a value of 1000 m for platforms and 500 m for siding / cars, there is an initial distance in which the labels are transparent and they are illegible within a first distance of 200 m for platforms and 100 m for siding/cars. So that, the default distance range could be 1200 m for the platform and 600 m for siding / cars.

Attached patch file to try it.

Attached File  20170519-F6-Speed-Maxdist.patch.txt (3.96K)
Number of downloads: 256

Edit: 2017/05/20.

#67 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:36 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 16 May 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

How about this? This is a very quick (30 minute) prototype of a new station label display mode "Auto" ...
Patch 22890_1.zip

Pressing Shift + F6 the "Activity platform and visible siding labels" option does not appear. Only appears at the activity start.

By evaluating the logic of the TabAction function, this conditional statement could never be activated:
"else if (State == DisplayState.Sidings) State = Platforms != null ? DisplayState.Auto : DisplayState.All;"

It is necessary, to change the order of this conditional statement, so that it was evaluated correctly.

else if (State == DisplayState.Sidings) State = DisplayState.All;
else if (State == DisplayState.Sidings) State = Platforms != null ? DisplayState.Auto : DisplayState.All;

To:
else if (State == DisplayState.Sidings) State = Platforms != null ? DisplayState.Auto : DisplayState.All;

Regards,
Mauricio.

#68 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:58 AM

View Postmbm_OR, on 20 May 2017 - 09:36 AM, said:

To:

Hmm, that doesn't seem to be what I have here; the patch here is:

-            else if (State == DisplayState.Sidings) State = DisplayState.All;
+            else if (State == DisplayState.Sidings) State = Platforms != null ? DisplayState.Auto : DisplayState.All;
+            else if (State == DisplayState.Auto) State = DisplayState.All;

So the first line you mention is being removed and replaced with the others.

However, I did somehow manage to screw up the patch file so it's saved in UTF-16 LE, which might cause problems with reading or apply it. I've attached an updated version.

Attached File(s)

#69 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:08 PM

View Postmbm_OR, on 19 May 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

Yes, you are right. But it would be better to set a unique fixed value.

We could also consider that by assigning a default distance range with a value of 1000 m for platforms and 500 m for siding / cars, there is an initial distance in which the labels are transparent and they are illegible within a first distance of 200 m for platforms and 100 m for siding/cars. So that, the default distance range could be 1200 m for the platform and 600 m for siding / cars.

If we're going to do a dynamic distance of some kind, I feel like we should simply adjust it based on the speed directly; e.g. distance is proportional to the speed squared. This would probably mean only one distance is needed for all items (platforms, sidings, trains, cars) as the original separation for shunting vs not is also a speed difference.

#70 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:02 PM

I tried the most recent testing version and love the results. Very nice work, indeed gentlemen! These refinements are certainly welcome, appreciate all your hard work --- and talent.

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users