• You cannot reply to this topic

F6 Display Intenisty Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:30 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 10 February 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

... when 500m might serve perfectly well. Using different color text could be very useful as well -- yellow for one purpose, orange for another and so on. ...

Dave, this new code does not meet all your suggestions, but with a similar end result, even though they are different ways to get it.

This code uses camera location and platforms/sidings locations to calculate distance between them.
After doing this, it sets the maximum label distance of 500 m as your proposal.
All this has no related to the 'Viewing distance (m)' setting in Menu / Options / Video.
Then, with an arithmetic progression formula, it assigns a different color to each distance value, according your suggestion, yellow color for near distance and orange color for far distances.
I have generated a Runactivity.exe file explicitly to try it.

TRP and dForrest, thanks very much for your comments.
The modified code is now as I have explained previously, but it sets the maximum label distance of 1000 m.

Attached are two different patches.
Removed.

#32 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:10 AM

My opinion is that the grading of label display intensity in these samples, particularly 500_F6Labels.zip, are very good.

On a more general issue, I think that the colour and font used for the labels is not the best (this is also as existed before the current modification). My opinion is that the colour and font used are too dark and heavy and overpower the view of the surrounding scenery. A lighter font is needed. What are others opinions on this?

#33 User is offline   timothyskinner 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:39 AM

James - I'm running X3823 but no change in Station/Siding Labels. Has a patch been incorporated yet please? I ran MSTS yesterday with its nice graded blue labels which would be good..

#34 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:38 PM

View Postmbm_OR, on 13 February 2017 - 02:30 AM, said:

Dave, this new code does not meet all your suggestions, but with a similar end result, even though they are different ways to get it.

This code uses camera location and platforms/sidings locations to calculate distance between them.
After doing this, it sets the maximum label distance of 500 m as your proposal.
All this has no related to the 'Viewing distance (m)' setting in Menu / Options / Video.
Then, with an arithmetic progression formula, it assigns a different color to each distance value, according your suggestion, yellow color for near distance and orange color for far distances.
I have generated a Runactivity.exe file explicitly to try it.

View Posttimothyskinner, on 15 April 2017 - 05:39 AM, said:

James - I'm running X3823 but no change in Station/Siding Labels. Has a patch been incorporated yet please? I ran MSTS yesterday with its nice graded blue labels which would be good..

I've taken mbm_OR's 500m patch and incorporated it into Open Rails X3831.

Let me know what you think.

#35 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:58 AM

Unfortunately, to me these still appear to be a dark, solid font whatever the distance.

#36 User is offline   timothyskinner 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:07 AM

(1) LABELS
Thank you James, X3831 shows beige then yellow...

(2) TREES ON TRACKS
No joy with trees from a forest.dat across the tracks though.. any chance of a fix? I could send it to beta testers without trees or bushes (to cover some tile joins). Please tell me if it is worth waiting for full forests with treeless tracks or if I should put in what I can in squares and oblongs and send that instead... Thank you

Attached Image: ScreenShot003.jpg
Attached Image: ScreenShot004.jpg
Attached Image: ScreenShot001.jpg

EDIT. After some sleuthing by Jovet it appears files such as xyz.trk.bk can be read by OR (instead of the .trk)and need to be removed before the ORTSUserPreferenceForestClearDistance line in .trk works. I found running MSTS removes the ORTS line so a backup in a separate folder is good.

#37 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:32 AM

View Postdforrest, on 20 April 2017 - 03:58 AM, said:

Unfortunately, to me these still appear to be a dark, solid font whatever the distance.

Not sure what gave the impression they'd not be solid, but they should change colour now from orange (furthest away) to yellow (closest). We might be able to vary the opacity instead, or we might not.

View Posttimothyskinner, on 20 April 2017 - 07:07 AM, said:

(2) TREES ON TRACKS
No joy with trees from a forest.dat across the tracks though.. any chance of a fix? I could send it to beta testers without trees or bushes (to cover some tile joins). Please tell me if it is worth waiting for full forests with treeless tracks or if I should put in what I can in squares and oblongs and send that instead... Thank you

If you are building a route, or wish to edit one you've downloaded, you can add an option in the TRK file that will remove trees from the track at some cost (possibly significant) to loading times.

#38 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:51 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 20 April 2017 - 08:32 AM, said:

Not sure what gave the impression they'd not be solid, but they should change colour now from orange (furthest away) to yellow (closest). We might be able to vary the opacity instead, or we might not.

I should have written "high intensity" not "solid".

#39 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:08 AM

View Postdforrest, on 20 April 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

I should have written "high intensity" not "solid".

Oh, right. The orange is probably slightly less intense than the yellow but not by much. I've made a couple of tweaks in X3832:

• The labels are now visible up to 1km (was 500m).
  • The labels now change intensity (from 50% yellow to 100% yellow) instead of changing colour.

#40 User is offline   Bart 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:36 AM

This mod is welcome but frankly I feel the revised viewing distance of labels at 1km is too far and I preferred the previous distance of 500m. As it is the screen becomes messy if stations are close together,as it was before the original modification.

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users