• You cannot reply to this topic

All Signals Dark in a Route A possible solution! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cwvs 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, OpenRails

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

Hello All!

I have had a number of routes that on Open Rails the signals along the track were dark, while the proper aspects were displayed in the F4 window. I noticed the problem in Kicking Horse Pass v2 but did not see any problems with Rogers Pass. I am using the upgrade in KHP which replaces some textures and all signals with those in Rogers Pass. But the signals remained dark. Since both routes use the same signals, replacement of the sigcfg.dat file resulted in working signals! Then I went to work on the Full Bucket Line. The wayside signals never worked for me in Open Rails. Again, the proper aspects would be displayed in the F4 window. So what was different between the Rogers Pass signals and the FBL signals? A comparison of both sigcfg.dat files gave me and answer. Near the top of the file for both KHP and FBL was a section of information marked with the Skip command. After backing up the files, and deleting all information in the Skip section, the signals worked! Apparently Open Rails does not recognize the Skip command? I have no idea about coding, so I do not know if this would be an easy fix. But the solution I came up with works for me. If I need to read through the skipped information, I can go to my backups. Your milage may vary! I hope this will help those who would like to have working signals in their routes.

Bob :)

PS: Currently using x1795.

#2 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

View Postcwvs, on 11 October 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

Apparently Open Rails does not recognize the Skip command? I have no idea about coding, so I do not know if this would be an easy fix.

I believe it is a more subtle problem - Open Rails does understand skip(...) but it gets confused by the skip _(...) used in this case. I have had a bit of a go fixing it, but the parsing code is terribly complex and hard to follow, and we don't have any tests to verify changes don't break things. :)

#3 User is offline   cwvs 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, OpenRails

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

Thanks James! I guess we need to pay more attention to our file conventions. I am just happy that I figured it out and wanted to share. Come to think of it, KHP uses "_Skip". All those underscores really make a mess of things!

Bob :)

#4 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

Had the same problem on the FBL, reported bug, followed up and read comment from member of OR team concerning a longer than normal SKIP section. Deleted section (saved to separate text file) and Presto, all signals back to normal, FBL signal issue fixed. Had some problems with other routes, found SKIP sections, cut to separate file, and also problem fixed. Simple. Cheers. rhs (aka gerry)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users