• You cannot reply to this topic

Sprite Text (from f7) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

I noticed this evening that Sprite Text from waaaaay far away will display (per the max view distance) and, as expected of Sprite Text, is not culled by any closer objects that would obstruct the real line of sight to the station or siding the text describes.

So my question for discussion is to ask if sprite text can be displayed only if the location referenced is within a specific distance and if yes, should it be limited by distance, and again if yes, seen out to what distance?

I don't know if limiting it is feasible, but if it is, then my own opinion on the other questions is yes, with a distance of not more than 1 - 2km (roughly what MSTS does).

Thoughts?

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:06 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 23 September 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

I noticed this evening that Sprite Text from waaaaay far away will display (per the max view distance) and, as expected of Sprite Text, is not culled by any closer objects that would obstruct the real line of sight to the station or siding the text describes.

FWIW, the lack of obscuring is completely intentional, otherwise the labels would become useless in many cases. (The pole from the text to the object, however, is placed in 3D and is obscured.)

View PostGenma Saotome, on 23 September 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

So my question for discussion is to ask if sprite text can be displayed only if the location referenced is within a specific distance and if yes, should it be limited by distance, and again if yes, seen out to what distance?

We can certainly add a maximum distance to objects that are labelled; what is problematic is that we can only display labels for items in loaded tiles IIRC. So if we wanted to show labels for 2km but - for whatever reason - only have 1km of viewing distance, you'd be at a disadvantage.

#3 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:31 AM

What about letting the Labels "fade in" as you get closer, and vice versa? Very much liked that in MSTS, as it made it easier to determine to which car ( Location a Label belongs, since you also had the dinstance available.

Cheers, Markus

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

The examples I noticed were for sprite text placed in world files -- fixed locations. If they can be distance-limited to something like MSTS did then I think they should. Any body with 8-10km view distances is seeing too many - too far right now. Measured by +1 tile is perfectly acceptable as far as I'm concerned (ideal would always be an option tab choice the user can set)... but let's let others chip in their opinions.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users