Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Automaticlly tune settings and viewing distance Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

An explanation first, I live in a rural area in NE Victoria, the railway to Melbourne is the Albury (NSW) line. In MSTS this has been modeled with a reasonable level of detail as far as Seymour. The line itself passes over a low range of mountains on its way from Melbourne to Seymour, passing up a shallow valley to the Kilmore gap then down another shallow valley to Seymour. As a consequence for much of the train journey one can see hills between 1 to 5 or 6 kilmetres eithe side of the line.

I have until recently never been particularly happy with the route as one cannot see the hills either side of the line for much of the distance. The route does not have distant mountains but the author who is a locomotive driver has terraformed the terrain out to around 5 to 6 kilometres either side of the line. He has also put trees on the hills out tot around 2 kilometres eithe side of the line..............

Now enter OR with the experimental>Automaticly tune settings to keep performance level set.

Yesterday I SVN'ed or V1769, driving the above line I noticed something unusual the render primitives never dropped below 8000 usual being up in the 10,000 mark. The number of tiles loaded was around the same being in the range of 81 to 100. The difference I found was the terrain was being rendered out to at least 8 kilometres from the viewing point. This has absolutely made this particular route as one now can clearly see the hills beside the line in detail.
I have always had this theory about routes that you only have a reasonable (ie not high level) of detail but continue it for a decent distance either side of the line wuld in some cases look far better. This ceratinly the case with this route.

Note the previous version of OR tried V1754 did not render out to this much distance.

This is a/another major improvement,

Lindsay

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

Could be from X.1757, where a load of terrain code got rewritten, but either way glad to hear of the improvement. I was just running an activity on the Hisatsu line the other day and having 8-10km of viewing distance was really cool to see and drive (even though that route has distant mountains).

#3 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

I also noticed it today on Bob Wirth´s Gallup Sub. Looks great, especially in a desert style route with Little scenery but the Terrain.

There, however, still seem to be some DM artifacts left (turned off Auto tune again, as I still can´t fully put up with the Computer taking over all the Trial and error work I´d done before ;) ):

Should look like that:

Attached Image: No Artifact.jpg

Does look like that:

Attached Image: Artifact.jpg

I guess, the artifact directly over the tracks is something left from the DMs. And also, the exclusion Zone seems to be ignored. Get this both with and without Autotune, alh´though ist slightly worse with it turned on.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Markus

#4 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

markus_GE, on 23 September 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

I guess, the artifact directly over the tracks is something left from the DMs. And also, the exclusion Zone seems to be ignored. Get this both with and without Autotune, alh´though ist slightly worse with it turned on.

The exclusion zone needs to be bigger for this route, it seems. For now, I think you'll have to mostly live with such occasional glitches, unless someone comes up with a quick way to hide low-resolution terrain where we have high-resolution terrain.

#5 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

Just wanted to have it mentioned. Have been living with the far-worse gaps for about a month, so this occasional "moles" shouldn´t really bother me.

Anyway, should I file a bug Report?

Cheers, Markus

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users