• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

slow order zones can OR recognize the issuance of slow orders Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Falcus 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

I agree with alot of what you're saying Markus (I usually do! lol).

I know that the work on OR will continue. Quite possibly farther into the future then any of us currently imagine (The wonders of Open Source Community based Projects!).

That said, to add a system as was described above, would still mean coding an entirely new system (Or at least some kind of addendum to the current track side object system, I would believe anyway) into OR. Thats gonna be a fair few man hours. If I'm wrong, I hope a Dev corrects me, but if I'm understanding this correctly, I'd much rather let them focus on the more pressing issues for now, and then when the time is right, the development of a much more dynamic system....

Let me define what I mean too when I say "Dynamic system". Its true, MSTS' system was more "dynamic" in that at least it *sort of* interacted with you. You drove a train through a slow order work zone and you got to see a little yellow or red bar diminish into nothing until you were through it... Thats not really "Dynamic" to me though....

A truly dynamic track side system would allow the temporary placement (Read for an individual activity, though I won't turn down the ability to change the status of track side objects during an activity...) of track side objects, AND the ability to flag AI Traffic in addition to Player Traffic. This should include (But by no means limited to) things like Marker Flags, Warning Signs, Hazards (That did more perhaps then just jump 10 feet one direction), Derailments, Weather Events, and anything else that might be on or near the RoW that might affect the operation of the train. Imagine seeing Train Orders waiting for you at that station up ahead and you can actually press a button to grab them, and have them *overwrite* the orders you started with? Or having an animated Flagger clear you to drive through a Red Signal at 5 MPH? Or even hitting a car at a Crossing? These are all things that should be possible with a truly dynamic track side system IMHO....

Regardless, I don't see anything like this appearing any time in the near future. And I agree the OR devs are doing wonderfully. Its just, as far as the currently available slow order systems are concerned, I feel like were comparing Delicious Red Apples to Granny Smiths.... They're both Apples, neither of them are what we really want, and honestly they're only marginally different from each other.... Im perfectly happy with a Text warning vs a Little Yellow Bar warning any day. Until the day we can get a real Track side Simulation going, let the Devs do what they need to do and don't worry about a line of text or a line of Yellow....

Just my two cents,
Falcus

#22 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:18 AM

Hi Falcus,

funny to hear, as it´s the same for me :rolleyes:

The things you mentioned would be... incredible, if they cold be achieved. But for the time being, I guess, we should rather use some glue and stick to the floor. " Im perfectly happy with a Text warning vs a Little Yellow Bar warning any day" is actually also what I would say myself, yet, it should include AIs.

Nothing more to add, actually, other than...

@ ORdev: Do, what you think is necessary / good / whatever, but Keep up the great work! :lol:

Cheers, Markus

#23 User is offline   Falcus 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

it should include AIs

I agree, but it was my understanding that this wasn't even available in MSTS anyway correct? And even if it was, regardless, I'm happy to wait for something better.

Falcus

#24 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

Just made an Experiment with the Diesel Vs steam activity from TA´s American Classics pack, on the Default NEC in MSTS: Two tries; first just for reference how fast the AI will go; second one with slow orders added on both tracks: AI overtook me with some 20 mph more Speed that allowed.

Conclusion: In MSTS AIs are not affected by slow orders.

Cheers, Markus

PS: Hopefully OR can make it better

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users