Elvas Tower: Steam generated and evaporative surface - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steam generated and evaporative surface Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

I have been considering steam locomotive behaviour with the present code code and come to the conclusion that things are not quite right. Using default data from the eng file the evaporative surface gets set too high and steam generated is low. Generation once moving does increase but not by much thereby forcing the use of low cutoff and throttle settings until the figure gets high enough. It is my feeling that the generated figure should start at a much higher level than at present.

The evaporative surface figure if not set in the eng file is too high by default but if set in the eng file something strange happens. The initial generated figure is higher by approximately 70% but the generated increase is much slower than default.

#2 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

View Postcopperpen, on 09 September 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

It is my feeling that the generated figure should start at a much higher level than at present.

The evaporative surface figure if not set in the eng file is too high by default but if set in the eng file something strange happens. The initial generated figure is higher by approximately 70% but the generated increase is much slower than default.

I'm glad you're looking at this - we need to get it right.

Can you point to any real life data to compare the calculations with?

#3 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

This is the wrong forum to bring up this vital discussion .....it's not a bug/report, but a desired outcome for a feature not yet implemented.

Cheers Bazza

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

This might help:

Attached Image: tubes.jpg

Baldwin says the amount of steam produced per square foot of tube area varied by the length of the tube... my own interpretation is that portion of the tube closest to the firebox is hotter than the opposite end, with longer tubes having a greater reduction than shorter tubes, all other things equal. Averaging the gradation of temperatures across the whole length would show something like what the data is with shorter tubes evaporating more per square foot and longer tubes less. Of course, that's just my guess and I could be totally wrong... but at least there is some bit of sense to it.

#5 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:50 PM

View Postcaptain_bazza, on 09 September 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

This is the wrong forum to bring up this vital discussion .....it's not a bug/report, but a desired outcome for a feature not yet implemented.

Cheers Bazza

Feature is implemented, but not working properly. If the aim is to be MSTS compatible, then the ability to drive a steam engine without having to "nurse" it in the initial stages needs to be corrected.

#6 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:54 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 09 September 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

This might help:

Attachment tubes.jpg

Baldwin says the amount of steam produced per square foot of tube area varied by the length of the tube... my own interpretation is that portion of the tube closest to the firebox is hotter than the opposite end, with longer tubes having a greater reduction than shorter tubes, all other things equal. Averaging the gradation of temperatures across the whole length would show something like what the data is with shorter tubes evaporating more per square foot and longer tubes less. Of course, that's just my guess and I could be totally wrong... but at least there is some bit of sense to it.

It would certainly be a step in the right direction, but would need the code to be altered to use the data.

#7 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:57 PM

View Postcjakeman, on 09 September 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

I'm glad you're looking at this - we need to get it right.

Can you point to any real life data to compare the calculations with?

Waiting on the arrival of a couple more books that might contain the data. Currently ploughing through the Johnson and Phillipson books which contain a load of data and formulae on all aspects of steam locomotives.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users