Elvas Tower: I think I have finally got it figured......... - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I think I have finally got it figured......... A fix for poor performing steamers? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:10 AM

View PostLindsayts, on 02 September 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

Note 1: I have gone through all the source files and I believe this is how it should work, I though have no experience with C# and considering the C# compiler for Linux was abandond over 18 months ago, I probably never will get much konwledge of this language.

Version 3.2 of Mono, the C# library and compiler for Linux was released at 24 July 2013. There is the IDE named MonoDevelop/Xamarin, similar to Visual Studio, is also in active development. There is even an XNA replacement library available for Linux, named MonoGame. (Though that is for the newer XNA version 4.0, so at this time it cannot be used in our case.)

View PostLindsayts, on 02 September 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

C# appears to have no headers files and there is function prototypes and data structures all over the place with absolutely no way of finding out what they do or how they work, so its guessing time, something one should _____________NEVER___________ have to do in programming. In C and specialy assembler you ___NEVER___ get that situation occuring.

This is where the IDE comes to help. There is the possibility to right-click on any variable or structure, function, and select either "go to definition" or "find all references". It makes very easy to find the needed references. Some basic info about the object is also available just by moving the mouse cursor over it.

#12 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:03 AM

View PostFalcus, on 03 September 2013 - 02:18 AM, said:

So, just to clarify, with a fix to the coding of the game's Physics for Steam Locomotives, all these funky issues we've been having with steam locomotives having as much tractive effort as a stick of butter should go away with this fix?

And how do we get it fixed? Is this something we can do Manually (Step by step instructions would be awesome! though not expected)? Or is this something we can get sent to the OR Devs and have it fixed in the next update? or both? Because, though I like OR (My outdated computer problems aside), right now the adhesion/Tractive Effort issues it has drives me to distraction (Getting the latest beta was an immense improvement over V9, but the issues are still present if only lessened from what I've seen).

Thanks!
Falcus

Using X1727 I do not find any tractive effort problems, provided that the eng file is set up right to start with.

#13 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostFalcus, on 03 September 2013 - 02:18 AM, said:

Or is this something we can get sent to the OR Devs and have it fixed in the next update?

Got to love this image of us devs living over on Dev Island and waiting for the next mail boat to arrive from Elvas Tower :-)

#14 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

View Postcjakeman, on 03 September 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

Got to love this image of us devs living over on Dev Island and waiting for the next mail boat to arrive from Elvas Tower :-)

:)

#15 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

You mean something like this?

Attached Image: sharks.jpg

I think we all know the names of the circling sharks, eh?

#16 User is offline   Falcus 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

Bazza, the sharks are the adoring public right? lol.

@copperpen
If you're not having problems, and you're doing something to fix the .ENGs, can you point me in a direction to where I'd find how to fix them?

And do I really want to mess with .eng's stats atm when from what I've been reading in this thread and others that the OR Steam Physics model is inaccurate in a couple small, but critical areas, and theres a good chance it will be changing in the not too distant future?

I do know that most Steamers, "Straight outta the box" as it were off the FL at T-S.com or from wherever they come from have highly inaccurate numbers for one reason or another, but at least in MSTS, they don't start moving, get up to .2, shoot to 12.5 forward, jump to 43.2 backwards, then shoot forward to 18.4 (Numbers are rough approximations, it was quite something to watch...) before becoming permanently glued to the tracks no matter what I set the Reverser/Throttle to (Experienced with Brandon Smith's 4449 starting on a Grade on Marias Pass Default in V9.0, I haven't had anything this wild since downloading the latest beta version, but I still get less extreme examples of this).

#17 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Perhaps I might explain something, I am writing a train sim myself under another operating system. I find working within OR to be ___VERY___ frustrating as unlike my own sim OR is something thats largely out of my control. As a consequence I can only work on OR is small doses otherwise I will really go insane. I publish the data from my own research from my own sim in the hope it may be helpfull. Its up to others (not me) if they wish to implment it. If anyone with OR does not understand the research __________PLEASE___________ ask I cannot read other peoples minds.

Lindsay

#18 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

@Falcus
The changes I am making thus far are based on the findings by Lindsayts here, http://www.elvastowe...mers-eng-file/. I am not altering the MaxForce, MaxVelocity or ExhaustLimit unless they are wrong in the eng file. I am changing BoilerVolume, MaxBoilerOutput, MaxWaterMass and IdealFireMass. The problem is that these require one to know the grate area to base the calculations on. This is available for a number of locomotives, but does take a bit of ferreting out at times.

Your experience with the 4449 is very similar to the one I had yesterday with a BR Royal Scot. It refused to move until throttle and reverser were at silly settings, then went into a wild bout of wheelspin with an astronomical pulling power figure in the negative. Next time I tried it after changing some of the eng file data it shot off backwards at near orbital speed, met the buffers and refused to move after that.

#19 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

View Postcopperpen, on 04 September 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

@Falcus
The changes I am making thus far are based on the findings by Lindsayts here, http://www.elvastowe...mers-eng-file/. I am not altering the MaxForce, MaxVelocity or ExhaustLimit unless they are wrong in the eng file. I am changing BoilerVolume, MaxBoilerOutput, MaxWaterMass and IdealFireMass. The problem is that these require one to know the grate area to base the calculations on. This is available for a number of locomotives, but does take a bit of ferreting out at times.

Your experience with the 4449 is very similar to the one I had yesterday with a BR Royal Scot. It refused to move until throttle and reverser were at silly settings, then went into a wild bout of wheelspin with an astronomical pulling power figure in the negative. Next time I tried it after changing some of the eng file data it shot off backwards at near orbital speed, met the buffers and refused to move after that.

What I found was OR requires CORRECT data in the eng file and it will perform a good as the current "phsyics" allows it this includes as well as the other items mentioned the correct boiler volumne.
The majority of steamers I find have incorrect data, the only steamer I have never had to alter was the SAR 500 class, this model was done by a locomotive driver (diesel) so he appears to have had at least some idea of what he was doing.

One does have to be cautious of some of the info one digs up on a steamer, its not unknown for some the the dimensions/performacne data published to be incorrect.

Lindsay

#20 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

View Postcopperpen, on 04 September 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

@Falcus

What I found was OR requires CORRECT data in the eng file and it will perform a good as the current "phsyics" allows it this includes as well as the other items mentioned the correct boiler volumne.
The majority of steamers I find have incorrect data, the only steamer I have never had to alter was the SAR 500 class, this model was done by a locomotive driver (diesel) so he appears to have had at least some idea of what he was doing.

One does have to be cautious of some of the info one digs up on a steamer, its not unknown for some the the dimensions/performacne data published to be incorrect.

Lindsay

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users