• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A long drive with OR svn 1717 more on throttle control Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

I just had a nice long drive on OR svn 1717 (downloaded Aug 16). This is a report on how it went with a discussion relating to a problem I am having with the throttle.

The route is Adelaide hills and SE, the drive is a pass activity I have done from Mt Gambier to Central station, Adelaide, total distance is 305 miles, although I stopped on the outskirts of Adelaide.
OR setup is Viewing distance 6000 metres, Max LOD to viewing distance and the new Auto control of viewig distacne.
The drive was conducted in 3 sessions being Mt Gambier to Bordertown, Bordertown to Murray Bridge and Murray bridge to Belair. Belair being the terminus of the Adlaide metro service. Total distance driven is 289 miles, time taken 4 hours 45 minutes. One has to break after 1.5 to 2 hours as one has great difficulty maintaining the required concerntration.

On the whole OR performed fawlessly, I am very impressed with the decent viewing distance and the obects visible along way out. Outside of the throttle issue no problems were encounted. Note, previous versions would crash some where between Bordertown and Murray bridge.

The throttle issue,
The long drive gave me a lot of testing time which provided an decent insight into the problem. For the throttle the A and D keys which I assume controls a variable which is displayed on the F5 hud as a percentage. The throttle keys will at all times increment/decrement this value as per the table in the eng file, the physics then changing the engine condition from this value. When the problem manifests itself the keys STILL change this value but the engine will ONLY decrease in power, The D key increments the display OK but NOT increase the engine power.

I THINK it only occurs on MU'ed consists, I have experiencd it on two different multi car DMU's, and the consist for the current drive, a six car pass with a loco at each end (push pull)

I found this only occurs after a period of coasting on low no a closed throttle. On the drive above on around 10 periods of long downhill grades the throttle refused to open at the bottom after 8 of them. A period of around half an hour climbing a grade gave no hint of trouble.

The problem comes good after between a few seconds and around 1 minute. I found if one braked to below 40 kph when the problem surfaced it would right itself.

Lindsay

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

Which (throttle) type are you refering to? One type also controls the braking, such as the type used in MSTS's D9. The prototype name for this type of throttle control eludes me. MSTS uses the two types, the other being used on the GP38.

Cheers Bazza

#3 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

captain_bazza, on 20 August 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

Which (throttle) type are you refering to? One type also controls the braking, such as the type used in MSTS's D9. The prototype name for this type of throttle control eludes me. MSTS uses the two types, the other being used on the GP38.

Cheers Bazza

Standard 8 notch throttle.

#4 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:19 PM

I frequently drive UK DMUs, 8 notch throttle, and experience this behaviour many times.

Dennis

#5 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:37 PM

Yep, can confirm this same behaviour. It's been around for a fair while now.

Regards,

Rob Roeterdink

#6 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:43 AM

So it´s not just me with the (obviously) messed up eng file I used for testing, who is encountering this.

Yet, fixed up .eng, it´s still there, although notching back to 0 and waiting for RPM to become stable there now seems to resolve the Problem. But RPM loading will still be awfully slow. As if the engine was running on molasses istead of diesel :ermm:

Cheers, Markus

#7 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:07 AM

I'm glad to hear that this happens to others. I thought I might have broken something experimenting with cab views!
I agree, this has been around for a while, but it seems more noticeable now that ORTS is running so well.
I had found that momentarily setting up dynamic braking, would reset the throttle to normal response.

Sid P.

#8 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:25 AM

...just that momentarily means you loose 20 seconds during which you can´t move any controls other than the air Brakes...

BTW, speaking of Dynamics: Is it supposed to be that the Dynamics handle is in the same Position when both in Off and Setup? Just something I noticed trying the "Dynamics Workaround".

Same for me, Messing around with CVF´s always made me think it´s something to do with what I did to the files... but as of other such Problems I had, I should be considered apprentice when it Comes to other things than changing aliases or making cleaning up an SMS file...

Cheers, Markus

PS: I have the Feeling one can´t say it often enough: Keep up the great work on OR! :ermm:

#9 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

Ahhhhhhh............... I was wondering if it was just me also.........

I have it on both my main systems here, I found one apparently can clear the issue by applying the brakes. I tried this 3 times last night and each time one immediately gained control of the throttle.

Would OR like me to submit a bug report?

Lindsay

#10 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

There certainly seems to be a bug somewhere, so please do file a bug and link it here so everyone can subscribe/mark it as affecting them (so we get a good sense of seriousness).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users