• You cannot reply to this topic

New Install problems Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

I'm trying to get OR to run on mt brother's PC and have run into problems I cannot resolve. Error message is:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
at ORTS.InputSettings.SetDefaults()
at ORTS.OptionsForm..ctor(UserSettings settings)
at ORTS.MainForm.buttonOptions_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

which occurs when I click on the options button. Doing a start game causes an abort, no message.

A different message (unfortunately not saved) said something about being unable to compile.

I suspect the problem is with .Net 3.5; I have downloaded it from MS and run the installer but checking the list of installed programs all I see is .net 4.0; Do I have to uninstall 4.0 to install 3.5? Or does the above information indicate a different problem?

#2 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

I have found that you have to uninstall anything later then the version you want/need to install.
Some of my games and apps still use 2.0 but I had to uninstall all later versions and start with 2.0 and install upwards.
I have all versions of .net installed but I had to uninstall all to start with the earliest to get to the latest.
To answer your question, YES.
Oh, and MS still updates all versions, BTW, once you have any specific version(s) installed.

:)

#3 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

I'm sorry for this, but I have to stand to the opposite side: Due to my knowledge there is no need to trick with dotnet versions, one can install all of them, and they live together, near each other nicely. (However I don't know the root of Dave's problem.)

#4 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

Genma Saotome, on 12 August 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

I suspect the problem is with .Net 3.5; I have downloaded it from MS and run the installer but checking the list of installed programs all I see is .net 4.0; Do I have to uninstall 4.0 to install 3.5? Or does the above information indicate a different problem?

If you are on Windows 7 and 8, open "Programs and Features", "Turn Windows features on or off" and tick the box for .NET Framework 3.5. For Windows XP, download and install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1.

For all, download and install Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 3.1.

If that does not help, then there could be something more unusual like anti-virus screw-ups involved.

thegrindre, on 12 August 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

I have found that you have to uninstall anything later then the version you want/need to install.

That is completely untrue for the .NET Framework's independent versions: 1.x, 2.x/3.x, 4.0, 4.5. (3.5 builds on 3.0 which builds on 2.0, but I don't believe there's any need to install prior versions first - just go straight for 3.5 SP1.)

#5 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

No joy.

The control panel says 3.5 is "on". I did apply the software referenced in the link you posted. Neither V0.9 or subsequent versions will launch RunActivity. Trying either of Menu or OpenRails did bring up the menu and I was able to point to a directory containing the usual directories (global, sounds, routes, trains) and having done so did select an activity to run... but from there Start crashes immediately as does options.

FWIW I did get a message saying I do not have MSTS installed (true) and that's all, leaving me to wonder if I was hosed right then and there but I went browsing for what I have and that worked.

Checking the registry, Current_User_HKey/Software/OpenRails/... had only a couple of lines... like 3 or 4 instead of the expected 2 dozen or so.

There is no log file to look at.

Antivirus is Kapersky and it gives no indication of any problems.

#6 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

Since it is complaining of a file not found, you could try running Process Monitor, setting the filter to "Image Name" "is" "Menu.exe" and click Include, then click the options button to crash, and save the log from Process Monitor.

#7 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

James Ross, on 13 August 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

If you are on Windows 7 and 8, open "Programs and Features", "Turn Windows features on or off" and tick the box for .NET Framework 3.5. For Windows XP, download and install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1.

For all, download and install Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 3.1.

If that does not help, then there could be something more unusual like anti-virus screw-ups involved.

That is completely untrue for the .NET Framework's independent versions: 1.x, 2.x/3.x, 4.0, 4.5. (3.5 builds on 3.0 which builds on 2.0, but I don't believe there's any need to install prior versions first - just go straight for 3.5 SP1.)

Well, it has been true for me in all these years I've been running XP and games. I've had to uninstall all later versions of .NET to get an earlier version to install.
I've always gotten an error message stating that a newer version of NET is installed and I don't need the earlier version which isn't true. Some games won't run on later versions of NET. Only the earlier versions.

:sorry:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users