• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Open Rails v0.9 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ED_4 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS or Open Rails

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:32 AM

I've tried it out. So far so good with all the improvements.

But there is one thing I wished stayed. It's the menu version choice that was available with the previous version. I like the fact that it can look like the way it was with the main menus of MSTS somewhat, even if for a little. So please bring that capability back.

I also liked the new track monitor. There's a lot of information here now than it ever could have been with old MSTS. Great going with this one.

Regarding train operations. It still seems confusing how to set hand brakes using keyboard shortcuts to cars versus the way it is done with old MSTS. I still like using it the MSTS way using the train operations window on many things train operations. The MSTS train operations window also showed the fuel (fuel and water if it's a steamer) of the locomotive there. Right now there's no indicator on how much has been consumed, yet. I know there's plenty still to go for work in progress.

The programmable keyboard. I like what's there so far. However, it is missing the part I use most of the time in MSTS. The numeric keypad area. That part is pretty critical for my use. I used a lot of my train keyboard programming using the numeric keypad part. Please include this part in the future. Having it only partway is like cutting off a hand.

The signaling system is starting to get pretty fancy. I like it. Being able to go from automatic to manual and then back. That's something that couldn't be done even with MSTS. It might have been available in the previous version, but I've never tried that option until now. But now there's even more capability with the signaling system. Great going with that ORTS team. :good2:

So far I'm trying to test it on my newly partly upgraded system (MOBO, APU, Mem, Video Card). So there's a lot I want to put this updated ORTS version through. I've also read the nicely written Operations Manual. all 89 pages of it. There's more things I'd want to do and check out with this newer version. But so far with what I see immediately, I really like. So ORTS team, keep up the great work. You're making great progress. I can't wait until you make that great leap with including an activity editor, whenever that may finally show up.

So, this is in closing my comments on this part so far. Just encouraging all in the team of ORTS, keep up the great work. Forget MSTS 2 as it seems that is never going to float out of Microsoft ever since they abandoned the idea twice. It seems the real future for MSTS is with you folks of ORTS. So I praise all of you in the team for what you've done so far. Just keep on going and we supporters will be there right along with you. ^_^

When I come up with more ideas to put up and I also come up across some things I like that I haven't mentioned yet. I'll put them up here in this thread. For others that think they can input ideas here. Go ahead and do so. I made this thread since I haven't seen anyone isolate this version just yet just for general comments.

#2 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:51 AM

ED_4, on 26 July 2013 - 02:32 AM, said:

But there is one thing I wished stayed. It's the menu version choice that was available with the previous version. I like the fact that it can look like the way it was with the main menus of MSTS somewhat, even if for a little. So please bring that capability back.

This is not happening; the menu you refer to was not maintained by anyone and will not be coming back (two menus helps nobody). We will, of course, continue to change and improve the menu that we do have. The current experimental versions have an updated menu.

Regarding train operations. It still seems confusing how to set hand brakes using keyboard shortcuts to cars versus the way it is done with old MSTS. I still like using it the MSTS way using the train operations window on many things train operations. The MSTS train operations window also showed the fuel (fuel and water if it's a steamer) of the locomotive there. Right now there's no indicator on how much has been consumed, yet. I know there's plenty still to go for work in progress.

We're planning to overhaul the in-game interface prior to the next release, which will include most if not all of these things if we can manage it. Don't expect it to look like MSTS, but the features and functions should be there.

The programmable keyboard. I like what's there so far. However, it is missing the part I use most of the time in MSTS. The numeric keypad area. That part is pretty critical for my use. I used a lot of my train keyboard programming using the numeric keypad part. Please include this part in the future. Having it only partway is like cutting off a hand.

I'm not entirely sure what your issue here is; is it that the Help/F1 screen does not show the numeric keypad area? That you can't assign commands to numeric keypad keys (not sure how well this works)? Or something else?

Something to bear in mind is that the numeric keypad poses a huge problem for input, because it has two fundamentally different states. Yet, in both of these states, most of the keys are duplicating functionality found elsewhere on the keyboard.

Currently, when numlock is off, the numeric keypad can be used to control the cameras.

#3 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:41 AM

That´s my experience too, what James says: Having NUMlock off, it works just normal and one can set up key assignments. Turning it on, however, will make it impossible to assign NumPad keys to controls, and In-Game will duplicate other controls. Although not necessarily will e.g. pressing Num1 (NUMlock on) reproduce pressing 1... (whenn doing some Trial-and-Error-Research for my german Keyboard guide, i stumbled accros a few such oddities. Better just Keep NUMlock off).

Cheers, Markus

#4 User is offline   ED_4 

• Vice President

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:06 AM

James Ross, on 26 July 2013 - 02:51 AM, said:

I'm not entirely sure what your issue here is; is it that the Help/F1 screen does not show the numeric keypad area? That you can't assign commands to numeric keypad keys (not sure how well this works)? Or something else?

Something to bear in mind is that the numeric keypad poses a huge problem for input, because it has two fundamentally different states. Yet, in both of these states, most of the keys are duplicating functionality found elsewhere on the keyboard.

Currently, when numlock is off, the numeric keypad can be used to control the cameras.

Well I can program the keys in the numeric keypad but then what it does is say it's in conflict with other keys already programmed. What it needs to recognize is that it's exclusively the numeric keypad keys. Not the other duplicate numbers or the home/pg up/pgdn or something similar. But just exclusively Numpad keys. I've managed to program those keys with MSTS that way without problem. So if MSTS can do it then, it means it can be done. Just that the keymappings have to start to recognize the entire keyboard and not just that the keypad is a duplicate but a separate set of keys. Different from the ones that it duplicates. So that is an assignment to the ones responsible for recognizing the key-mappings of the 101 key keyboard. I know it's not impossible as many games use the keyboard in its entirety like in Falcon 4.0. And they do recognize the keypad as a separate set of keys not just some duplicate of other keys.

Oh, and along with other things I noticed just recently. I want to add that there is something I wish they'd bring back to the track monitor.. For it to be able to read the route's mile posts. The old MSTS track monitor did. So that's one addition to the already splendid track monitor that is a must add.

I started to notice about the dynamic shadows on this. It really is marvelous much more so than MSTS. Even the mountains and hills have shadows. Something that sometimes isn't noticed too much in MSTS.

#5 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

ED_4, on 26 July 2013 - 05:06 AM, said:

Well I can program the keys in the numeric keypad but then what it does is say it's in conflict with other keys already programmed. What it needs to recognize is that it's exclusively the numeric keypad keys. Not the other duplicate numbers or the home/pg up/pgdn or something similar. But just exclusively Numpad keys.

Don't be under any illusions: keyboard input is very complex and quite broken in some areas.

For example, both of the scan codes 47 (NumPad7) and C7 (Home) map to the virtual key 24 (Home). And, both of the virtual keys 24 (Home) and 67 (NumPad7) map to the scan code 47 (NumPad7). Just think about that for a bit: both transformations of the data merge 2 keys in to 1 key.

That's the kind of crazy stuff we have to contend with just to get anything working at all, never mind letting you guys customise it. ^_^

I will look at this request, when I have time, but believe me, it might be a nightmare to fix.

#6 User is offline   ED_4 

• Vice President

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

I do like that some things are starting to look right. Like the smoke/steam coming out of the steam locomotives look like it's taking the concentration based on the *.eng file numbers. I know this because I noticed the big difference with my locomotives from the previous version, the smoke looked thick and black. But now it's not, because that's how I have the settings made for MSTS.

Also that the activity for a passenger train we can actually drop people off and work properly now. Unlike in the previous version that I've seen.

So those are two things that are going in the right direction.

However, there is one thing that I liked with the MSTS's passenger train station window that this version still isn't showing any new change. It's the status where we can actually see the full distance to the next station. I liked that option very much that was from MSTS. I do hope that you'd bring that capability in the future of ORTS.

#7 User is offline   Fred 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

I have just downloaded the latest version of OR yesterday and I am running OR for the very first time on my machine. I can sum up the experience by saying the video is absolutely jaw dropping!http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/jawdrop2.gif I am getting much greater detail on the foliage, trains, and other scenery. It almost looks as if I am viewing the terrain in 3D. I am also getting fantastic frame rates. The developers have done a great job.http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbup3.gif

I know there are problems that eventually will be worked out. For example on one route there was a column of smoke on the track next to me and there was no loco there.

There are only two things that really bother me about OR. First there are no mileposts in either the track monitor or next station window. I need my mile posts so I know where I am in a 300 mile route. Second the cabviews are not fully functional, but I am assuming this will eventually be fixed.

OR is definitely the the train sim of the future but it still needs some work.http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_rockon.gif

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users