• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ORTS new menu Looks nice, but... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:24 AM

Hi everyone. So I've just tried out the new menu introduced in X1674.
First thoughts... not too bad, I like it! But, as there's always a but... At least for now, I would like to ask something to be changed (although this is only a preference of mine...) I'd like that it could be possible to still change the minutes of the simulation start. With this new menu, you can only change the time through hours like you did in MSTS or Train Store. I somehow liked to be able to make changes to the minutes like starting an explore route at 09:45H for example.
Other than that, at least for now, I really like this! You can choose a locomotive and a consist with that locomotive... or you can put any loco and choose from one consist from all your consists with different locos. Really great work guys! Thank you very much for all your work!

#2 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:36 AM

View PostPA1930, on 09 July 2013 - 04:24 AM, said:

At least for now, I would like to ask something to be changed (although this is only a preference of mine...) I'd like that it could be possible to still change the minutes of the simulation start.

I'm not at my PC right now so can't double check, but you should be able to just type a time in the box. It was certainly intended that you could do that.

#3 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:17 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 09 July 2013 - 04:36 AM, said:

I'm not at my PC right now so can't double check, but you should be able to just type a time in the box. It was certainly intended that you could do that.

Okay, now I sort of feel a bit stupid. It is indeed possible to type the time in the box! Thanks for the note... no complains then! :)

#4 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

May I add my opinion, pls?

like the "new" Interface too, definitely better than it was way back with v0.8, but one Feature I have uo to now quite often denoted is still missing: Would it be possible to instead of the Name of the .eng file of a locomotive, rather Display ist Name as defined within the .eng file (Line "Nam ( "Name_here")?'

E.g. the Default dash9 on my System (I renamed it) wouldn´t be called "dash9" then, but "BNSF C44-9W #4092 Default DASH 9"... That way I always get some more Details on what I´m running than the Name of the .eng may ever give :sign_rockon:

Would be great if this Feature could be added. :)

Cheers, Markus

PS: ORTS already is GREAT
Nevertheless, Keep improving it!:)

#5 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 09 July 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

like the "new" Interface too, definitely better than it was way back with v0.8, but one Feature I have uo to now quite often denoted is still missing: Would it be possible to instead of the Name of the .eng file of a locomotive, rather Display ist Name as defined within the .eng file (Line "Nam ( "Name_here")?'

E.g. the Default dash9 on my System (I renamed it) wouldn´t be called "dash9" then, but "BNSF C44-9W #4092 Default DASH 9"... That way I always get some more Details on what I´m running than the Name of the .eng may ever give :)

I guess you've not tried the new menu yet, as that is exactly what it does! Both engines and consists use the Name in their respective file (Engine>Name and Train>TrainCfg>Name). :sign_rockon:

#6 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

Yes, I have tried the new menu, and no, it does not what I asked for :)

As I said above, I edited my Default dash9 to in MSTS Show up as "BNSF C44-9W #4092 Default DASH 9". However, in ORTS "Chose consist" window it´s still called "Dash9". See the following screenies:

In MSTS:
Attached Image: MSTS_menu_Dash9.jpg

In ORTS:
Attached Image: OR_menu_Dash9.jpg

See the difference? Or am I missing something?

Cheers, Markus

PS: I think I also got the cause of why OR gives me this difference to MSTS. the following is the Contents of Das9.eng, shortened so only those lines are in there, which state any of the two names: "Dash9" or "BNSF C44-9W #4092 Default DASH 9" ("..." where code was cut out):

Wagon ( Dash9  
Engine ( Dash9
Wagon ( Dash9 )
  Name ( "BNSF C44-9W #4092 Default DASH 9" )

It´s the last line from which I think the displayed Name in OR should be retrieved (as it is in MSTS; if this line is not there in any .wag or .eng file, MSTS simply does it the same way, as OR now does it: Display the Name denoted in "Wagon(..." right at the beginning of the file).

For reference: The line "Name ( "..." )" is the second line after the line "EngineVariables" in Das9.eng

EDIT: removed a line "comment" from the code snippet...

#7 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

AS YOU WERE!

Just saw, what mistake I made... Haven´t got the SVN Version (seen in another thread) X.1776, but the latest experimental X.1773... However, I had for a Long time not loked at the explore Screen, so it seemed new to me (and I liked it :sign_rockon: ). Now I have just seen a screenie of the really new menu in another thread. Don´t yet know, how it works there (off the line Name( ?), but I can´t give my jufgement like I did in the above.

:) , Markus

PS: Sorry for Military slang and shouting - just to avoid more mistakes

#8 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 09 July 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

Now I have just seen a screenie of the really new menu in another thread. Don´t yet know, how it works there (off the line Name( ?), but I can´t give my jufgement like I did in the above.

:) , Markus

No worries; I believe it will do what you want, but let me know if it isn't. :sign_rockon:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users