• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gearbox feature Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

Observations on the new feature. Automatic gearboxes work very well. The only thing wrong far as I can see/hear is that the engine noise does not reduce with throttle reduction, seems to be tied to the unit speed while in gear.

Manual gearbox does not work, period. The cvf entry of GEARS LEVER is not recognised. Pressing the E key does not change the gear in use display line after first gear, but the next gear display does change. The main problem is a total lack of power when compared to running with an automatic box. Starting off in gear one ( manual ), the projected speed reaches the figure of maybe 3.4, then decays to 0.2 or 0.3. After that nothing changes regarding speed except closing the throttle and then the train stops. The gearbox overspeed warning also comes on even though the speed is only 2 or three mph, while the first gear max speed is 14 mph.

#2 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

How the sounds work is depends on the sound configuration. I've just set a DMUs engine sound to be controlled by RPM instead of speed.
Manual gearbox is working, however it have this "diesel load" thing. If i going uphill, this "diesel load" rises above 100%, and the DMU loses it's power.

And after reaching a certaion speed, the throttle doesn't gives more power (for example i've get the same power at 46% throttle, like on 100%).

#3 User is offline   BB25187 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails MSTS

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

Hi all,

I made a few tests with two different engines. I observed the same phenomenon: when I start increasing the throttle with first gear, the effort first increases. But before I can reach the speed to switch to the second gear, the effort start decreasing and it even becomes negative. In extreme cases, the engine stops. Then the effort increases again, until it decreases, and so on... So it is impossible to operate the engine!
I checked the code, seeking for calculations which can make the effort negative. I found three such lines in file DieselEngine.cs. After further tests, only one of them seems to cause those "oscillations" of the speed. Attached is a SVN patch which fixes this issue, and allow me to operate the engine. Not sure that this is the proper way though!

Regards

Attached File(s)

#4 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

disc, on 23 June 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

How the sounds work is depends on the sound configuration. I've just set a DMUs engine sound to be controlled by RPM instead of speed.

I have not done much work with sound files. The set I am using has a mix of speed and variable2 for the triggers, but is using variable2 for the volume and frequency curves. I thought that variable2 was the throttle which would control RPM.

Edit at 09:16pm:

I have noticed that with a two unit DMU, both cars powered, the trailing unit goes into negative power, but the figures do not match the lead car.

#5 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

disc, on 23 June 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

Any chance of an explanation on how to do this, I have one sound set up that does produce the gear change but its not obvious on looking at the sms file how this is achieved. It would be nice to get a 3 speed Voith transmission to sound correct.

The actual gear change sound surprised me as it was almost exactly the way it sounds.

I found one is getting some very odd effects currently in the diesels with the code being changed so much.

Lindsay

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

About sound: in MSTS gear-based diesel engines have Variable2 proportional to RPM (and not to effort or throttle as in other engine types). I have just checked that also OR performs so, and therefore it is compliant with MSTS.
I'm analysing
- the possibility to add two new discrete triggers linked to the gear up/gear down commands and
- to link Variable1 to throttle (as MSTS already does for electrics).

About max speed per gear: in MSTS it is not possible to run the train over the maximum speed for every gear, so it is correct that even with throttle 100% the speed does not increase any more if such speed has already been reached.

#7 User is offline   Matej Pacha 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

BB25187, on 23 June 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

Hi all,

I made a few tests with two different engines. I observed the same phenomenon: when I start increasing the throttle with first gear, the effort first increases. But before I can reach the speed to switch to the second gear, the effort start decreasing and it even becomes negative. In extreme cases, the engine stops. Then the effort increases again, until it decreases, and so on... So it is impossible to operate the engine!
I checked the code, seeking for calculations which can make the effort negative. I found three such lines in file DieselEngine.cs. After further tests, only one of them seems to cause those "oscillations" of the speed. Attached is a SVN patch which fixes this issue, and allow me to operate the engine. Not sure that this is the proper way though!

Regards

Hi,
the purpose of these lines (a negative dRPM computation) is something like a diesel overload feature. Your fix won't work for diesel-electric locos - the diesel RPM will never fall back to idle. It was a typo in the diesel RPM/power look-up table - very hard to find. in v1663 it should be fixed.

Many thanks for the report anyway!

Matej

#8 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

Csantucci, on 23 June 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

About sound: in MSTS gear-based diesel engines have Variable2 proportional to RPM (and not to effort or throttle as in other engine types). I have just checked that also OR performs so, and therefore it is compliant with MSTS.
I'm analysing
- the possibility to add two new discrete triggers linked to the gear up/gear down commands and
- to link Variable1 to throttle (as MSTS already does for electrics).

About max speed per gear: in MSTS it is not possible to run the train over the maximum speed for every gear, so it is correct that even with throttle 100% the speed does not increase any more if such speed has already been reached.

I have located a sound set that does have the RPM die when throttle is reduced. This sound set is using variable2 and variable3. This is actually proper behaviour for mechanical gear box with manual gear change because you have to close the throttle and let the rpm decay before changing gear. An auto box should also have that ability to close the throttle, have the RPM run down and the train coast until either brake or throttle is applied.

#9 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

Lindsayts, on 23 June 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

Any chance of an explanation on how to do this, I have one sound set up that does produce the gear change but its not obvious on looking at the sms file how this is achieved. It would be nice to get a 3 speed Voith transmission to sound correct.

The actual gear change sound surprised me as it was almost exactly the way it sounds.

I found one is getting some very odd effects currently in the diesels with the code being changed so much.

Lindsay

I've just searched for the enginesound, replaced SpeedControlled to Variable2Controlled, and set the frequency curve to 3 elements (0 to max RPM forward and backward).

#10 User is offline   BB25187 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails MSTS

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

Hi,

Matej Pacha, on 23 June 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

the purpose of these lines (a negative dRPM computation) is something like a diesel overload feature. Your fix won't work for diesel-electric locos - the diesel RPM will never fall back to idle. It was a typo in the diesel RPM/power look-up table - very hard to find. in v1663 it should be fixed.

I tested revision #1664, using a diesel engine with manual gear box and mechanical transmission, and then the original Kiha31 which has a hydraulic transmission. Both work with MSTS. In both cases, the power is oscillating between positive and negative values, and the engine doesn't really move.
So I have two questions:
- Did you succeed in moving the Kiha?
- Is there any new operation to perform to operate such an engine in OR?

Thanks in advance for your reply,
Regards

Update after a new test: in fact, it happens that both engines above finally move. But I cannot really understand why and what makes the difference: it seems that the same operations sometime work, sometimes don't work. Furthermore, even when the engine finally moves at a reasonnable speed, the effort still oscillates and sometimes becomes zero or even slightly negative, thus limiting the speed. Of course, I am using the gear within the expected speed range.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users