• You cannot reply to this topic

OR Hard Stops & camera views something to add for future Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

In the other thread about "Missing and Incomplete/Features" there is some discussion about Hard Stops ... all of us know MSTS had more than it's share of hard stops. There are still some in OR .. eg. after coupling, the "6" camera is still between the two wagons that just coupled....if "alt9/3" is chosen a hard stop happens, choosing "alt7/1 is okay. There are other example that result in hard stops ..... perhaps in any hard stop condition the default would be to go to a preset stable camera view ....or ... have nothing happen, the command just becomes "dead" in that instance .... I don't know which is preferable from a programming point of view. ALSO on my wish list is a "camera/views reset" .... often when using the mouse to alter some view it becomes easier to stop and resume to regain original viewing status .... a reset would be great.....again don't if that is achieveable. Any thoughts from others? rhs

#2 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

That, is an excellent suggestion! :sign_rockon: A camera reset button. :clapping:

:oldstry:

#3 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:12 AM

View PostR H Steele, on 08 June 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

all of us know MSTS had more than it's share of hard stops. There are still some in OR .. eg. after coupling, the "6" camera is still between the two wagons that just coupled....if "alt9/3" is chosen a hard stop happens, choosing "alt7/1 is okay.

Not familiar with the term "hard stop". OR should never freeze or die. We aim to trap any fatal errors with a "cannot continue" message like this one.

Attached Image: Cannot continue.jpg

There are other example that result in hard stops .....

The rest of that message is important too. If you've found a way to break OR, then please, please make a report at the Bug Tracker.

OR is faster and more reliable than MSTS and we aim to keep it that way :-)

#4 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

ALSO on my wish list is a "camera/views reset" .... often when using the mouse to alter some view it becomes easier to stop and resume to regain original viewing status .... a reset would be great.....

This lack of reset bugs me too, so I've added it in X.1637, using Control-8.

#5 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hard stops to me are the unrecoverable errors, like running off the end of the track or into another train at greater than coupling speed.

Speaking of camera.... Isn't there supposed to be a camera function to return to the last free-roam camera position? If it's Shift-8, it isn't working for me...

Three enhanced camera options I'd like to see....

1) The ability to free-roam in motion with the train, i.e. to walk thru a moving coach, or on the roof-boards or front-porch of a SD40-2...

2) the ability to free-roam "jump ahead" to the next node (be it a signal, crossover, or switch) in the path of travel

3) the ability to free-roam jump to a pre-defined location from a list, perhaps stored in a file (route.cam???) similarly structured to the MKR file? That would allow me to set up "tower cam" positions in my interlocking towers and yard offices....

#6 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

View Postcjakeman, on 09 June 2013 - 12:12 AM, said:

Not familiar with the term "hard stop". OR should never freeze or die. We aim to trap any fatal errors with a "cannot continue" message like this one.

Attachment Cannot continue.jpg

The rest of that message is important too. If you've found a way to break OR, then please, please make a report at the Bug Tracker.

OR is faster and more reliable than MSTS and we aim to keep it that way :-)

I've had OR vx1615 and x1634 go to a completely white/light grey screen... no sim image at all and freeze, have to call taskmanager to end program, does not seem to respond, always figured it was something I was doing or specific to my system....did not report a bug because I assumed it was known. I am a new to OR and I can't assume when something happens it's a bug ... odds are it's my lack of operating knowledge. Will try to recreate the situation so I can describe precisely what is occurring. rhs

#7 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

Back to Camera/View Reset ..... I've thought about it and my original idea wasn't well thought out. Suppose you had one specific view that needed resetting but all others were just were you wanted them, you use reset and all views are reset ... not good. So, a reset for the specific view you are using that moment in the sim and another "ALL Views" reset. Perhaps, it may be best just to have a RESET for the specific view that is being displayed and no global reset at all, except when restarting? rhs

#8 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 09 June 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

Will try to recreate the situation so I can describe precisely what is occurring.

Yes, please.

#9 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

View Posteolesen, on 09 June 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

Speaking of camera.... Isn't there supposed to be a camera function to return to the last free-roam camera position? If it's Shift-8, it isn't working for me...

Indeed there is. Sorry to hear that there are problems with it, but please make a report at the Bug Tracker,

#10 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

View PostR H Steele, on 09 June 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

Back to Camera/View Reset ..... I've thought about it and my original idea wasn't well thought out. Suppose you had one specific view that needed resetting but all others were just were you wanted them, you use reset and all views are reset ... not good. So, a reset for the specific view you are using that moment in the sim and another "ALL Views" reset. Perhaps, it may be best just to have a RESET for the specific view that is being displayed and no global reset at all, except when restarting? rhs

Don't worry, the reset function I implemented simply resets the current camera. We can perhaps expand in the future but for now it should suffice.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users