#11 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

Hi Scott,

View Postscottb613, on 18 May 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

That's an excellent idea running the triple monitors in portrait mode - never thought of that before... I've never been a fan of the wide screen monitors - only good for watching movies - IMHO... The setup you posted above - while a huge display - seems pretty close to my favored 4:3 aspect ratio...

As you can see, I went ahead and here it is - 1680 x 3150

Actually with bevel compensation turned on, as it is in these photos, the image is something like 1680 x 3350.

The benchmarks at www.videocardbenchmark.net predicted a tenfold rise in frame rates, from 20-30 to 200-300 and that's exactly what I'm seeing. I also predicted a 3x faster processor but I've not measured that yet.

The 3 screens are great for coding too, so I'm enjoying my summer break :-)

Railworks showing Newcastle Station

Attached Image: Railworks triple.jpg

Open Rails showing Norwich Station

Attached Image: OR triple.jpg

#12 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

Loos like an awesome experience, probably the closest one can get to reality in home simming...

I´m getting jealous! :lol2:

Cheers, Markus

#13 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

I have read that your overall performance would be better if the OS was on the SSD along with any critical program that will benefit from running on a SSD. I am guessing the performance factor would still be good if the SSD was just used for sims.

Edward K.

#14 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

Very interesting, I was wondering (in a small way) how smaller monitors in portrait mode would go. 3 1920x1080's would give 3240x1920 which is an aspect ratio of 1.6875, this is as close as one can get to 3x4 using 3 monitors. The future is looking bleak for single monitors outside of the standard "wide screen" format (1.778 to 1) as all of the current so called 4K monitors released so far are widescreen.

As both of my regularly used systems use 2760x1600 monitors I will stick with these currently. Three 1920x1080 Samsungs in portrait mode woud be an interesting experiment. Three S22B300B's are currently just under $450 Australian, this is well under a third of the price of a single HP ZR30w hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder how good the colour rendition is though, in this repect both of my 30 inch monitors are perfect (A major purpose for my first 2760X1600 was for photo work).

On SSD's I found these have sped up the system startup but do not appear to have had a major effect on OR's frame rate even on scenery dense routes like the SOB and the Berninabahn.

Lindsay

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users