• You cannot reply to this topic

Alerter going off on zero speed realistic? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:55 AM

I don´t know, if this shouldn´t maybe go over to the "Maybe it´s a bug" section, but before I post it there, some questions:

The alerter fuctions of locomotive are defined in the MSTS .eng files, as everybody probably knows. What - at least to me - maybe isn´t that wideknown, is the option "MonitoringDeviceResetOnZeroSpeed( 1 )", which I after I had "discovered" it immediately started to implement on my rolling stock. OR, however, doesn´t really seem to obeye this, so my question: Does OR already support this option? Or is it ´bout something in my .eng files? (see below the code I use for the alerter/aws monitor)

If it´s not already supported it would be great if it could be implemented, as going into emergency during inspecting your train while you´re at a halt in the yard is a bit... demotivating. Same thing when sitting in a siding and taking a short break for the toilet :sign_thanks: )

Cheers, Markus

PS: the alerter code I as a standard am using:

AWSMonitor(
MonitoringDeviceMonitorTimeLimit( -1 )
MonitoringDeviceAlarmTimeLimit( 5 )
MonitoringDevicePenaltyTimeLimit( 0 )
MonitoringDeviceCriticalLevel( 0 )
MonitoringDeviceResetLevel( 0 )
MonitoringDeviceAppliesFullBrake( 1 )
MonitoringDeviceAppliesEmergencyBrake( 0 )
MonitoringDeviceAppliesCutsPower( 1 )
MonitoringDeviceAppliesShutsDownEngine( 0 )
)

VigilanceMonitor(
MonitoringDeviceMonitorTimeLimit( 44 )
MonitoringDeviceAlarmTimeLimit( 30 )
MonitoringDevicePenaltyTimeLimit( 0 )
MonitoringDeviceCriticalLevel( 0 )
MonitoringDeviceResetLevel( 0 )
MonitoringDeviceResetOnZeroSpeed( 1 ) <---------------------------the line that in MSTS shuts the alerter down if the train isn´t moving
MonitoringDeviceAppliesFullBrake( 1 )
MonitoringDeviceAppliesEmergencyBrake( 0 )
MonitoringDeviceAppliesCutsPower( 1 )
MonitoringDeviceAppliesShutsDownEngine( 0 )
)

#2 User is offline   JohnS 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR, MSTS, Railworks

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:26 AM

I can only speak on the realistic part of your question and the answer in short is yes that's realistic but only if the reverser is not centered and the brakes are not applied. The reason is the alerter computer thinks that the train can move or is moving so it will alert you to that fact.

#3 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:29 AM

OK... So it´s unrealistic for brakes waiting in the yard for departure, brakes applied and reverser centered.

So my question isn´t again a "spam" one :sign_thanks:

#4 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:08 AM

It really depends on the locomotive's systems. I know one that only activates the Alerter after 3km/h. :sign_thanks: Otherwise, I think the alerter shouldn't work while the train is stopped, even with the reverser on any direction or not. If its not moving, the alerter won't come tell you anything (or at least, it shouldn't...). If it starts moving by its own because the brakes are released or the reverser is either forward or reverse, then yes it should be correct that it should activate the alerter, as its moving...

#5 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

OK, so the remainin question is, does OR recognize the MonitoringDeviceResetOnZeroSpeed - parameter (or whatever you call it "programmically" :derisive: )?
In MSTS it does just what it says: keep the alerter from going of "on zero speed".

#6 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

View Postmarkus1996, on 04 May 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

OK, so the remainin question is, does OR recognize the MonitoringDeviceResetOnZeroSpeed - parameter (or whatever you call it "programmically" :derisive: )?
In MSTS it does just what it says: keep the alerter from going of "on zero speed".

As far as I can see, OR does not currently use any of the MonitoringDevice values. I'm sure support will be added at some point, though.

#7 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

As of what I experienced, at least the VigilanceMonitor time settings must be actually taken into account, as I played a bit with the values and it indeed did work in both, OR & MSTS - that´s why I thought, same could be true for the ResetOnZeroSpeed thingy, and it´s just some thing I set up wrong in the .eng.

When - estimatedly - will support fo these parameters be added? (Would make a GREAT programm even better :pleasantry: )

#8 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:38 AM

View Postmarkus1996, on 04 May 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

When - estimatedly - will support fo these parameters be added? (Would make a GREAT programm even better :pleasantry: )

The aim for Open Rails 1.0 is to load MSTS content and match MSTS behaviour everywhere it makes sense to do so (e.g. the signalling/dispatching system will never match so we aren't worrying about little issues there). That should include supporting as much of the engine parameters (especially for something like the vigilance control) as possible. If you file a bug (if there isn't already one), I expect it'll be targeted at OR 0.9 or 1.0. (When these releases will be is not decided, as they are mostly planned by quality/completeness IIRC).

#9 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:04 AM

Well, the there´s just one question left: Should I file this as a bug, or as you said that these parameters have not yet been implmented in OR, should I not do so? (what-isn´t-implmeted-can´t-be-a-bug-philosophy :pleasantry: )

#10 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:37 AM

If the parameters aren't supported yet, it's not a bug.

There's a somewhat easy way to check this for yourself --- download the source code, and do a search against the parameter name.

You don't even need to use VisualStudio to do this -- you can use a somewhat more elegant tool like GrepWin, or something as simple as a DOS prompt with the FIND command in each code sub-directory.

If it shows up in the _Tokens.CS file, but nowhere else, then it's not implemented yet.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users