• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A signalling question, priority trains Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

I am just wondering..........

On the Port Hedland to MAC (mining area C) route ( AU_WA_BHP_Pilbara ) in real life the loaded trains going to the port from the mine are given priority in the passing loops, that is the contollers hold the unloaded trains going to the mines so that the loaded trains in most cases do not have to stop, as it takes such a long time to get them started again.

Is this/will this be possible in OR (now who shifted the question mark key)?

Lindsay

#2 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:58 PM

Hello Lindsay,

there are no priority rules at present - the logic is simply first come, first serve.
Whether this will ever be extended I can't tell yet - there are some thoughts in that direction but no firm ideas or plans yet.

Regards,

Rob Roeterdink

#3 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:07 AM

Hi Rob,

I posted this in another thread - but - are the signals fully operational in OR ? I've been playing around with the Monon - and - while the track monitor shows the signal state - the actiual semaphore models never change state... Could it be something on my end ?

Regards,
Scott

#4 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

View Postscottb613, on 24 April 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

Hi Rob,

I posted this in another thread - but - are the signals fully operational in OR ? I've been playing around with the Monon - and - while the track monitor shows the signal state - the actiual semaphore models never change state... Could it be something on my end ?

Regards,
Scott

Hello Scott,

do these semaphores also show a red or green lamp?
If so, could you check if these do change - there were, and perhaps still are, some problems with the animation of semaphore signals. In such cases the signal control is correct but the animation fails.
If the lamps do not change either, there could be a problem with the sigscr.dat file. Does the log contain any errors or warnings on the processing of the sigscr.dat file?

Regards,

Rob Roeterdink

#5 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:32 AM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for responding - greatly appreciated...

I'm using the latest production version of OR - I haven't tried the development release yet...

I believe the models are showing red... When I first start a session and I'm near a signal - I see it change state - but it's the last time any of them ever move... I recall seeing a post about changing the signal mode to manual mode or something but I didn't think that was related - so I haven't tried it... I'll take a closer look tonight when I get home and save the log file as well...

Thanks for all you guys do !!!
:bigboss:

Regards,
Scott

#6 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

Will do Walter - thanks...

Regards,
Scott

#7 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

View Postroeter, on 23 April 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

Hello Lindsay,

there are no priority rules at present - the logic is simply first come, first serve.
Whether this will ever be extended I can't tell yet - there are some thoughts in that direction but no firm ideas or plans yet.

Regards,

Rob Roeterdink

Thanks for the reply,

In reality its not the signalling system itself but in this case the controlers making a concious decision to hold the empty trains in favour of the loaded, so one sort of requires a higher level control above the signalling system, Something for the future, maybe.

On the iron ore lines this is not an insignifacant problem as a couple of 1 minute signal stops can end up delaying the train by over half an hour due to the time it takes to get a 33000 ton train pulled by 4 GEC Dash 9's back up to speed.

Lindsay

#8 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:37 AM

Well, we are working on improvements to the dispatcher window, so you can play dispatcher as well as driver. But it's a bit like four-hand piano playing on your own ...

Regards,

Rob Roeterdink

#9 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:29 AM

Yep - the new experimental release has the semaphores working again... Now I just have to figure them out...

THANKS !!!
:pleasantry:

Regards,
Scott

#10 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

View PostLindsayts, on 24 April 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

Thanks for the reply,

In reality its not the signalling system itself but in this case the controlers making a concious decision to hold the empty trains in favour of the loaded, so one sort of requires a higher level control above the signalling system, Something for the future, maybe.

There has been some discussion about (priority) rights by direction and rights by class but all things considered it was just too soon to turn to seriously investigate how to do those. Something will happen that adds more sophistication to signalling... it's just a matter of time and resources.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users