• You cannot reply to this topic

FOV per camera Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   JohnnyS 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR/MSTS

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to implement independent FOV adjustment for the different camera views. Whilst I find a lower FOV (20-25) value preferable for external cameras, for the internal cabview camera a larger value (40-45) seems more appropriate in my opinion.

I think it would be a nice option for the end user. What do other folks think? Just a suggestion.

Really enjoying the development teams efforts so far. Keep up the good work.

Regards,
John.

#2 User is offline   jtr1962 

• Fireman

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

I would want this capability also. By the way, are you using a 16:9 monitor? I'm asking because I use a 4:3 monitor and I have the FOV set at 65. The default of 45 makes curves look much sharper than they are, and also makes it feel like you're crawling even at high speeds. 60 or 65 seems to be closer to what a human eye would see. For a widescreen monitor you would use a lower FOV for an equivalent feel (45 would be equivalent to 60 on a 4:3 monitor).

#3 User is offline   Fred 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

In the past I have used camcfg Gold and found that the best FOV for the view looking out the front window is about 45 or 50. I have never looked into the default camcfg.dat to see what is used there.

#4 User is offline   jtr1962 

• Fireman

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

View PostFred, on 19 April 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

In the past I have used camcfg Gold and found that the best FOV for the view looking out the front window is about 45 or 50. I have never looked into the default camcfg.dat to see what is used there.

Default FOV for MSTS is 60. MSTS doesn't appear the same as OR with any given FOV. For example, I set FOV for the cabcam in MSTS to 84. To me this makes things appear about the same as they would to my eyes. If I use an 84 FOV in OR everything looks really elongated. 60 to 65 seems to be about right for the cabview, although the external views look better at 45 or 50. Same thing in MSTS. I used a smaller FOV for the external views than for the cabview.

I'm personally not a fan at all of very narrow "telephoto" FOVs. They remind me of a lot of the train videos on you-tube where everything looks crunched together and it looks like the train is moving at walking speed.

#5 User is offline   JohnnyS 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:OR/MSTS

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

are you using a 16:9 monitor?

I think the aspect ratio is 16:10 on the machine I am using for OR.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users