Elvas Tower: Diesel Smoke in Open Rails - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Diesel Smoke in Open Rails Results from modifying dieselsmoke.ace. Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

I'd like to take my hat off to the guy that fixed the diesel smoke in v1577. :hi: This is a major improvement! The best I've seen since day one. :yahoo:

:) :ermm: :pardon:

:wtf01:

#12 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

View Postthegrindre, on 20 April 2013 - 08:03 AM, said:

I'd like to take my hat off to the guy that fixed the diesel smoke in v1577. :hi: This is a major improvement! The best I've seen since day one. :yahoo:

:) :ermm: :pardon:

:wtf01:

Thanks to Robert ( rdamurphy ) for this.

#13 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

View Postrdamurphy, on 20 April 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

On the F3, my guess is it uses a very small value for one of the parameters int the .eng file, if someone could post the .eng, I could take a quick look at it. I wouldn't recommend ANY values lower than 1.

Robert

I am using the Monon for my testing. I have set up a BLW/ZT F3a and a C628 with the same DieselSmoke parameters. The C628 shows the standard OR behaviour with a thin tapered plume from the exhaust with the colour varying according to rpm state. The F3a at idle shows big fluffy intermittent puffs which darken slightly and become more steady in appearance at higher throttle/rpm figures, but still in a big amorphous cloud in which can be seen the outlines of the dieselsmoke ace.

Mervyn

#14 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:46 AM

The new diesel exhaust seems to have 'bypassed' static consists, or these are shown as at full throttle.
The picture below shows this most clearly - the train in front and the one behind is the same type of train ('private' repaint of UK class 170). The front is an AI train which has stopped here, the rear is a static consist. The difference in exhaust is rather striking - in comparison, that for the static consist looks pretty unreal.
Attached Image: smoke.jpg

Regards,

Rob Roeterdink

#15 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

I also noticed that the static consists appear to have full throttle exhaust in the latest experimental release (X.1576). Something I have not tried is coupling up to one to see if the exhaust returns to idle condition--I may have to experiment with that. I also wish that the exhaust was not gray at night--it really doesn't look prototypical for diesel locomotives. All of that said, the latest exhaust versions are much better than previously in OR. I'm continually amazed at the great progress the OR team is making with each new experimental release. I find almost no need to run activities in MSTS at this point.

Edit: I coupled up my player locomotive to a loose consist locomotive. The smoke level of the loose consist locomotive dropped to idle immediately, so there is apparently an issue with the smoke parameters on loose consist locomotives.

#16 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS - OR

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

Hmmm, the issue is fairly obvious, and possibly an easy fix. AI trains don't compute engine rpms, which are used in the computations for the particle emitter. I'll dig in a little deeper and see if I can get the AI exhaust working...
For the BLW/Zosa trains issue, please change the Exhaust Nozzle setting in the .eng file from .7 to .07, and it looks good. If you're unsure how to do that, let me know, and I can be more specific.

Robert

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users