• You cannot reply to this topic

How Do we run a mini route with OR? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

I would like to run the new Scottish Central route but it is a mini route as the disk installs it. How do we tell OR to go look for it? I am pretty sure it is a simple task but wanted to ask for advice....i really like OR very much and want to be able to study some of the Mini routes such as this and also Clive Heald's Summerset and Dorset....both of which set themselves up as mini routes. so you need the stock and and consists to run the acts for them. thanks for advice on this if possible.

#2 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

CrisGer, on 12 April 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

I would like to run the new Scottish Central route but it is a mini route as the disk installs it. How do we tell OR to go look for it? I am pretty sure it is a simple task but wanted to ask for advice....i really like OR very much and want to be able to study some of the Mini routes such as this and also Clive Heald's Summerset and Dorset....both of which set themselves up as mini routes. so you need the stock and and consists to run the acts for them. thanks for advice on this if possible.

Try adding it as a new folder.

#3 User is offline   CrisGer 

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

OK i will do that thanks if it works that way it would include the stock and acts as well as the route. I will see how it goes. thanks.

#4 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Open Rails expects to find the rolling stock in the TRAINSET folder within the TRAINS folder in the same folder as the ROUTE folder that the route is found. In other words, it's looking for the exact same file structure as MSTS, but without the need of have MSTS specific programs and folders. The overall folder that contains the TRAINS and ROUTE folders and so on can be anywhere you want. You just tell Open Rails where it is and it remembers.

In fact you could just set up a msts mini-route. Open Rails doesn't care if you have the trains.exe program and other content. You might as well, then you can go either way. Or not; up to your preference.

#5 User is offline   CrisGer 

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

ah ha..so then i can use the same install of Open Rails to work with my main MSTS files AND also find mini routes? or do i need to make an individual OR install for each mini route?

all the mine routes have the TRAINS and ROUTES folders in the standard format, so that will be fine. thanks a lot for the help on this. I guess people make mini routes to get around the limitation for MSTS of too much stock or routes..but OR only uses what it needs so we dont have to worry about that, so mahybe i will just put all the mini routes back into the main install..

but i do want to know how to set them up with OR if need be, i will try things out later been working on some new models for MSTS today so need to take a break.

#6 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

Don't move your mini routes. Just tell OR where to look is all you have to do.
No, you only need one OR installation. It'll work just fine.
You're trying to make things complicated. OR is far easier then that.
You can have 37 mini routes spread over 13 hard drives with one OR installation. Just tell it where to look for each route.

:)

#7 User is offline   ChrisP 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:OpenRails/MSTS

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:20 AM

Hi, hope it's OK to jump in but like CrisGer I also want to run Scottish Central Plus. I have managed, after a couple of abortive attempts, to get it running through the loader that is provided with the route.

When I start OR I use the Add Folder option to point to the Scottish Central Plus folder but it says No Routes.

What am I doing wrong??

Any help much appreciated.

Tks

Chris

#8 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

Go deeper. Try the routes folder. Or shallower to the mini folder.
Don't give up after trying just one folder.

:derisive:

#9 User is online   Csantucci 

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

ChrisP, on 04 May 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

Hi, hope it's OK to jump in but like CrisGer I also want to run Scottish Central Plus. I have managed, after a couple of abortive attempts, to get it running through the loader that is provided with the route.

When I start OR I use the Add Folder option to point to the Scottish Central Plus folder but it says No Routes.

What am I doing wrong??

Any help much appreciated.

Tks

Chris

The folder you have to add is the one where the train.exe file of your mini-route resides (e.g. for the standard MSTS installation it would be Train Simulator). Another way to find it: if your mini-route has a shortcut icon on the desktop, you can right click on it, select Properties, and find the folder path in the From: (I hope it is named so in English) field.

#10 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

Scotish Central mini route works OK in OR including all activities, I cannot now remember which folder to add BUT it does work.

Lindsay

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users