Elvas Tower: Transparency problems: graphics card brand dependent? - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transparency problems: graphics card brand dependent? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

See bug https://bugs.launchp...or/+bug/1165142 . Any one having experienced this too?
PS Sorry, I should have posted this in the "Maybe it's a bug" section.

#2 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 05 April 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

See bug https://bugs.launchp...or/+bug/1165142 . Any one having experienced this too?
PS Sorry, I should have posted this in the "Maybe it's a bug" section.

Yes,

I have two systems, the first has an NVidia GTX560SOC the second an ATI Radeon 5870. The radeon will render some objects transparent (not invisible but transparent), these being OK on the NVidia. I have a feeling one may be able to get rid pf it by playing around with the Radeon's 3D accelration settings as in my case it only appeared (I think!!!!) after playing around with these settings. Updating the the radeon's driver to the latest (13.1) did not help. I did not experience this problem prior to version 1527, mainly most likely as the problem only appeared after playing around with the 3D settings a couple of days ago, this could of course be a coincedence.

Incedently with all settings maxed out the Radeon produces a GOOD deal better moving image on OR than the NVidia, at the cost however of a much lower frame rate. NOTE, important this is on a 2560x1600 monitor and these are a killer on graphics cards on the higher 3D settings.

Lindsay

#3 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

My current card (but for how much longer?) is an EVGA GTX550 Ti 1 GB and is adequate in all respects, so far. I run it on an ASUS LED 27" monitor at 1920 x 1080p resolution. Apart from a strange hiccup with a recent 'people' scenery asset using alphas, it works okay with alphas, because another 'people' asset works fine. (I think it was my fumble, not the card's fault.)

Cheers Bazza

#4 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

The effect here is dependant on the Anti-Aliasing mode, For the driver on my system this has three settings.
Peformance, Adaptive AA and super sample AA. It works OK on Performance, the problem is clearly seen in the Adaptive mode and is a __VERY__ regular occurence. It largely disappears under Super sample, but occasionally one will see transperant trees and overhead wire supports.

I have now run this a number of times on each setting and there is a __Suggestion__ that it __could__ be related to the apparent brightness of the object. I did a number of runs on the Footscray Ballarrat route, when set to Adaptive AA, at the places where the overhead uprights were going transperant, I noticed at these points in the Peformance mode the uprights were lighter in shade, still solid though. Now i would __NOT__ bet my life on this but it may be a help!!!

Lindsay

#5 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

transperance also occurs if ansiotropic filtering is set at more x2 regardless of the antialiasing mode.

Hmmmm, I will assume then the problem occurs whenever the GPU is set to enhance the image in some way, as its likely that when anti-aliasing mode is set to performance its actually not doing it at all. It certainly does not look like its doing anything. Mind you on the 2560x1600 its quite difficult to tell really if any of the GPU settings actually does anything.
The above statement also applies to the NVidia card.

Lindsay

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:57 PM

Lindsay,
thank you for your valuable info that confirms our suspects! Now I expect that our forumers will test with the modified settings.

Eldorado,
thank you for your cooperation.
I can guarantee you for the absence of viruses in that .exe file. However as you prefer I attach can send you a 25 MB .zip file of the loco pack.

Carlo

P.S. First feedback here from our forum: in fact setting Anti-Aliasing to Performance removes the problem from both Radeon users, however of course quality of graphics is worse than with the higher settings.

#7 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

No problem on Radeon hd3850...
Perhaps disable adaptive antialiasing, that used to cause bugs like this.

#8 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:08 AM

I have an Nvidia GTX460 and since OR X1565, all the transparency issues that I'd noticed seem to have been cured. Even an issue that I'd noticed when running MSTS is not present when the same routes / models are run in OR. From my point of view, another significant advance in OR.

Dennis

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users