• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Distant Mountains - Fog Removal Rate Topic: -----

#31 Inactive_nyc01_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

ChrisD, on 08 April 2013 - 05:33 AM, said:

It is safe to increase Viewing Distance to 4000. Safe means that the number of tiles loaded stays at 25. Increase to 5000 and the tile load goes up to 49. No need for that.

ChrisD

I've been experimenting with the draw distance and tried it up to 8047m (5 miles) but it almost cut my frame rates in half (down in the 40-50 fps range on the FR Route).

I ended up settling on 4000m which almost completely takes care of the floating tree issue while keeping the frame rate above 60 fps so that I can maintain smooth game play.

Here are some screen shots of the Feather River Route with the view distance set at 4000m, they were all originally taken at 1920x1080 resolution, 8x super-sampling AA/16xAF -

102 fps -
http://imageshack.us/a/img836/4233/ordm1v.jpg

96 fps -
http://imageshack.us/a/img201/3574/ordm2.jpg

70 fps -
http://imageshack.us/a/img441/8331/ordm3.jpg

81 fps -
http://imageshack.us/a/img210/93/ordm4.jpg

88 fps -
http://imageshack.us/a/img834/8451/ordm5.jpg

#32 User is offline   ChrisD 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:30 AM

In post #29 I reported my findings about ViewingDistance, where I found the best setting to be 4000.

I have tried the Gold-Spike-X Route on the new X-1557 with ViewingDistance set to 4000 combined with the trees modified to show up at 3500 m.

This yields the best mountain terrain I have seen so far. :oldstry:

No mountains "growing up" in the distant fields. Even the sideways views shows the DM correctly.

The present DM implementation combined with ViewingDistance set at 4000 meters seems to be a sweet spot.

X-1557 has the best DM so far. Well done OR Team :good:

ChrisD

Attached Image: GSX-1.JPG

#33 User is offline   _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha 

• Fireman

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

I would like to try those trees new LOD too, but in the WP 3rd sub, my touchstone route.

ViewingDistance is set through the system registry, right?

Please advice me on how to proceed, preferably using a script or application like Route Riter to modify all the trees in one go.

#34 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha, on 10 April 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

I would like to try those trees new LOD too, but in the WP 3rd sub, my touchstone route.

ViewingDistance is set through the system registry, right?

Please advice me on how to proceed, preferably using a script or application like Route Riter to modify all the trees in one go.

Can´t help with the LOD problem, but with the viewing distande: yes, it´s in the registry, path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\OpenRails\ORTS. If it is´n´t already there create a new REG_DWORD there called "ViewinDistance" and then change the (decimal) value to whatever you wish.

#35 User is offline   _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha 

• Fireman

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

Got that, Markus, thanks.

Like other have said before me, a greater viewing distance requires a more powerful computer and graphic processor.
Also, key features in the landscape need greater LOD values to avoid them 'popping into view'.
Plus, bare tabletop shows here and there now, but so far I have not reached the edge of the rendered world and looked into the Great White Void that lies beyond ...

What does the Lower DM actually do? I think there is still a plugged tunnel on the Feather River route.

#36 User is offline   ChrisD 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:00 AM

_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha, on 10 April 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

I am sorry, but to my knowledge there is not a thing like free lunch.

Not every tree has 2 LOD´s so a script seems undoable. (But feel free to prove me wrong.) :)

You need Archibald to inspect the .s files and change the LOD. Just the low detail LOD needs changing. (Most trees have this set at 1000, change it to 3500)

If archiblad says ILLEGAL DATA, You need Route_Riter fo fix the broken .s files.

One good thing, MSTS seems not to mind the increased LOD, The "Fernsehturm" in Berlin has a LOD of 4000 without MSTS crashing.

MS has copyright to the Global/Shapes, so I do not think they will take it kindly if we distribute these shapes with increased LOD´s.

Maybe one gifted Assetcreator could make a new set of trees with increased LODs to replace the MSTS Built-in trees.

ChrisD

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users