• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

High spec graphics card gives you - what? What am I missing? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

If anyone would like I can (in a couple of days) provide one with a comparison of OR on the following systems

System 1, MB Gigabyte GA-P35-DSO3, CPU Q8400 @ 2.6Ghz, GPU 4870
Memory 2 Gbyte, 64 bits wide

System 2, MB ASUS P6X58D Premium, CPU i7 940 @ 3.0Hhz, GPU Nvidia GTX 560SOC
Memory 12 Gbyte, 96 bits wide (3 lane)

System 3, MB Gigabyte X79-UD5, CPU i7 3930 @ 3.2Ghz, GPU AMD HD7870
Memory 16 Gbytes, 128 bits wide (4 lane)
All Data for OR is on an SSD (Intel 120Gig 520 series)

The systems are running XP 32 bit so only 3 gig of ram is availible.
If anyone would like me to use a particular route and/or consist or a particular test please yell out. All routes and stock must be freely downloadable (and not to large).
Screen shots can be done up to 2560x1600.

Lindsay

#22 Inactive_nyc01_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

cjakeman, on 28 March 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

Yes, that's right. Your locos look very good but I was hoping for a point of comparison.

I don't have any of the default routes currently installed but I can reinstall them for testing purposes.

Keep in mind the default routes in MSTS are no where near as demanding as say a route like the Feather River.

#23 Inactive_nyc01_*

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

Lindsayts, on 28 March 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

Screen shots can be done up to 2560x1600.

Lindsay

That's something that I forgot to mention earlier and it's another example of what's going on and what isn't going on as far as the GPU is concerned when it comes to OpenRails.

I run some of my sims/games on a 32” HDTV at 2560x1440 (down sampling). As far as a performance hit is concerned there isn't any that I could see with my GTX 680, 1920x1080 vs. 2560x1440 and with using super-sampling AA I didn't notice any improvement in image quality with OR either.

#24 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

nyc01, on 28 March 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

I don't have any of the default routes currently installed but I can reinstall them for testing purposes.

Keep in mind the default routes in MSTS are no where near as demanding as say a route like the Feather River.

Yes, I offered a default MSTS route because everyone is sure to have access to it. On second thoughts, it is hardly a good test of image quality.

Are you able to post up an image from a free route which shows of the graphics card to its best?
I'll download the same route and put up a comparison from my more humble laptop. Can't go beyond 1600 pixels in width though.

Thanks,

#25 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

cjakeman, on 31 March 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

Yes, I offered a default MSTS route because everyone is sure to have access to it. On second thoughts, it is hardly a good test of image quality.

Are you able to post up an image from a free route which shows of the graphics card to its best?
I'll download the same route and put up a comparison from my more humble laptop. Can't go beyond 1600 pixels in width though.

Thanks,

"The graphics card at its best" hmmmmmmmmm

I have run OR on various systems and graphics cards, I will say that there is not really a world of difference. I have played around with various settings (anti alias and such) without much noticeable effect. The monitor though is an entirely different story. OR on the 30 inch 2560x1600 is really awesome. I found I get a much better "in cab" experience, In routes such as the Bernina Bahn , I found on the larger monitors (I do have a system with 1920x1200, the 2560x1600's cost a fortune) one can get an attack of vertigo on some of the mountanous curves.

One could put up a screenshot on the Bernina Bahn coming up from the italian side,thats an awesome route.

Lindsay

#26 Inactive_nyc01_*

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

Lindsayts, on 31 March 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

I have run OR on various systems and graphics cards, I will say that there is not really a world of difference.

There is a world of difference between the image quality that you get with Nvidia and what you'll get with AMD in OpenRails (super-sampling AA).

I have played around with various settings (anti alias and such) without much noticeable effect.

If you can't see any noticeable effect then the settings aren't being applied properly. There are plenty of OpenRail users out there including myself that have seen it.

Super-sampling AA is currently not working with AMD's Catalyst drivers and OR so it doesn't matter how you set up the AA options in the CCC your not going to see it.

The monitor though is an entirely different story. OR on the 30 inch 2560x1600 is really awesome. I found I get a much better "in cab" experience, In routes such as the Bernina Bahn , I found on the larger monitors (I do have a system with 1920x1200, the 2560x1600's cost a fortune) one can get an attack of vertigo on some of the mountanous curves.

I didn't see any real difference in image quality 1920x1080, 8xSSAA vs. 2560x1440 with OpenRails anyway and the only way your going to get an attack of vertigo is if you fill up your peripheral vision which is a little hard to do with a 30” or lower display.

#27 Inactive_nyc01_*

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

cjakeman, on 31 March 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

Thanks,

If you can find a free route that matches the detail of the Feather River Route I'll be happy to put up some screen shots. To be honest the only sims/games I run that actually show the AMD 7970 and GTX 680 at their best are using DirectX 11 or advanced OpenGL features.

There has also been plenty of threads over at Trainsim.com over the years that have discussed image quality and super-sampling AA so you might take a look over there.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users