• You cannot reply to this topic

Quick Questions before Leaping Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

OK, time to try OR as it is now. I saw a 0.7 release thread but the only release i saw on the site was 0.8..so we use 0.8?

and we keep our MSTS install as it is and install OR in its own folders but have to copy over Globals, Trk, and Trains? and Routes?

i plan to keep MSTS Forever so dont need to try to do a stand alone all the way..and i assume BIN still works and helps the sound?

i real the FAQs just needed to confirm those things. RE still works but not AE?

#2 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

It's not necessary to set up anything specific for Open Rails to access MSTS routes... you can point it at \Train Simulator if you want (actually you can point it to any number of MSTS installations). But if you want to have a OR-only mini route set up then all you need in your directory are the files normally found in the \global, \routes, \trains (their compete directory trees & files) plus \sounds and its files.

As for versions, you might as well return to the Open Rails web page and find the link for beta releases as it's a couple hundred versions beyond the last official release and the differences are significant.

#3 User is offline   CrisGer 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

OK thanks Dave, gonna go get em :wub: thanks

#4 User is offline   CrisGer 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

Do the ROUTES, GLOBAL, SOUNDS Folders and contents to INTO the Content folder INSIDE The OR folder or just into the main OR folder? thanks

#5 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

OR's own content folder is there for the software's own artwork and graphics shaders, it is not intended to be used for player's own content. Neither I would recommend to copy any of your own content to main OR folder. The best way is to keep OR folder clean of any own data. You can either use the same content that MSTS uses by just telling OR what the location is, or you may copy the whole stuff to anywhere else on your hard disk with also telling OR the location.

#6 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

CrisGer, on 27 March 2013 - 05:48 PM, said:

Do the ROUTES, GLOBAL, SOUNDS Folders and contents to INTO the Content folder INSIDE The OR folder or just into the main OR folder? thanks

Basically what you want to see is when you're done is a directory structure that looks like MSTS but w/o any of the folders MSTS uses to run itself.

As for location, anywhere you want... but I do agree with the previous note to not put it w/ the OR software (what you're creating is something that's all data, no programs, and as you might want to back it up on occasion, or move it somewhere, and having it off on it's own makes those tasks a bit smaller and cleaner.

You can set up multiple instances of this tree as well and then vary the content inside /routes and /trains so you get era-specific installations... or alternatively region specific installations.

#7 User is offline   CrisGer 

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

ah, ok, glad i didn't try to run it yet, i will move the TRAINS, ROUTES and GLOBAL and SOUND folders to somewhere else, and just keep the OR folder ..i am using the number 8 beta unless you think i should use the Feb 2013 beta,....i will keep the OR folder for just OR stuff. thanks. might be good to include a How to Install Read Me in the downloadable doccuments, i saw a very nice controls sheet but no Installation instruction guide.

#8 User is offline   CrisGer 

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

wow, ok yes the steam is one of the things i really wanted to see thanks, i will use that one.

i plan to do detailed research into OR now, and try out all of the routes i have worked on plus some new ones i am working on with some new techniques of dynamic water, and high rez textures. Very interested to see how it all works.

Does Train Store work with OR?

I have over 13,000 rolling stock and 8,000 engines, and 102 routes so need to plan carefully.

#9 User is offline   CrisGer 

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

I am very impressed. OR is a completely new experience and has great quality. I noticed a lot right away, esp with the visual quality, the controls work well and the feel of the operations is much more realistic.

just starting so a long way to go.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5949/orfirsttest.jpg

I tested one of my most demanding routes, a new route from the UK with a huge amount of AI and activity and OR handled it much better than MSTS, with no faults at all. This is going to be very interesting.

One of my routes, the Skipton, did not show up on the roster, is there a reason a route will not show on OR? it is an older route but should be up to specs.

Also i use a custom Smoke Ace, should i revert to the default MSTS one for fullest smoke quality? the AI smoke was perfect, but the smoke from the player engine appears more balloon like and solid. Not sure if it is my custom ACE, my video card, an FX 9600 or just the way it is for now.

wow.

#10 User is online   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

CrisGer, on 28 March 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

wow, ok yes the steam is one of the things i really wanted to see thanks, i will use that one.

i plan to do detailed research into OR now, and try out all of the routes i have worked on plus some new ones i am working on with some new techniques of dynamic water, and high rez textures. Very interested to see how it all works.

Does Train Store work with OR?

I have over 13,000 rolling stock and 8,000 engines, and 102 routes so need to plan carefully.

You don't need TrainStore with OR. Just select the route and activity, OR will only load the required stock, path, service and traffic files. Unlike MSTS, OR does not read everything you have into memory before you get to choose what you want to do.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users