• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Camera FOV? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

I made what it said on the link that PM1225 shared, created a new registry file named as "ViewingFOV". I knew default was 45 so I have chosen 25 to take that screenshot to show I was able to sucessfuly modify the FOV. So it was just a random decision to use that ammout of zooming. I will then change other values depending on what places I want to take a screenshot and such. I posted another screenshot on the Superelevation topic where the zoomign was the default and it still looked great with that ammount of zooming. ;) It depends on the situations.

#12 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

PM1225, on 17 March 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

You know, I'm beginning to wonder if PA1930 just wanted to zoom in and out in that view. If so, <shift><control> page up, or page down would do the trick (at least in camera view #2). Maybe I misunderstood what he wanted to do. the expression "camera FOV" means "focus of view", doesn't it?

Usually taken as "Field of View",
for a normal lens on camera (ie not wide angle or telephoto) this is usually close to 39 degrees horizontally.

It would be nice if this could be set at least in the options menu. In the original release of Kuju's "railsimulator" you could toggle the field of view with I think the up arrow key to much narrower setting, great for siting signals.

I may have a play with this as I believe the existing FOV of OR is to wide.

Lindsay

PS, FINNALLY some cool days, after months of temperatures around 36 degrees C (98 deg F) and mostly quite humid, what a breath of fresh air ;).

#13 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Basically what Lindsay told is what was my intention. Not for the signalling but only for some screen captures with "zooming in effect". For example, imagine if I'd like to make a little play as if I used a fish-eye lens. I could then just change the FOV values and do that. ;)

#14 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

I have had a bit of a play with "viewingFOV". Now I run OR on a 30 inch 2560x1600 monitor, a value of 45 for the vertical FOV works out to a horizontal FOV of 72 degrees, this is way to wide for normal viewing. On spec I set the value to 28 this equates to 45 degrees for the horizontal.

My VERY first impression on entering the cab of a DMU on starting OR is of interest. The instant impression being this looks way more realistic. I have found viewing direction in the Cabview file needs tweeking in lot of cases, but I have found on the whole a major improvement in realistic driving experience.

I find one can usually identify a semaphore signal at around a kilometre as long as it on a contrasting background. Judging the braking into a station is easier and one can now see with little difficult the vertical rollling of the track in hilly conditions a point that bothered me before, as one can CLEARLY see this from the cab in a train. Signs along the track such as whistle posts are much more readily seen.

There is a disadvantage that detail in the scenery can more readily be seen this allows one to pick up low detail or poor placement of objects easier. Also lines side objects without LOD's stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.

I believe it would be of value for OR to include this (viewingFOV) into the options menu. It would allow for a decent bit of experimentation without risk of scuttling ones Windows installation.

I have certainly found that narrow field of view is way more realistic (a personal view of course).

LIndsay

#15 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

Lindsayts, on 23 March 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

I have had a bit of a play with "viewingFOV". Now I run OR on a 30 inch 2560x1600 monitor, a value of 45 for the vertical FOV works out to a horizontal FOV of 72 degrees, this is way to wide for normal viewing. On spec I set the value to 28 this equates to 45 degrees for the horizontal.

My VERY first impression on entering the cab of a DMU on starting OR is of interest. The instant impression being this looks way more realistic. I have found viewing direction in the Cabview file needs tweeking in lot of cases, but I have found on the whole a major improvement in realistic driving experience.

Interesting stuff. I measured my viewing distance and monitor size and worked out that my "window" on to the world is ~26 degrees vertical FOV. I'd agree with you generally about the cab view, though the external views (particularly 2 and 3) feel rather too much like SimCity-style isometric for my taste.

For what it's worth, the current default FOV is set to match MSTS on 4:3 monitors but also to simply show more on 16:9 and other wider monitors (rather than crop top/bottom).

#16 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

Just out of curiosity... Are there any plans to try to implement a FOV change combination of keys during gameplay? Like for example increments of 5 values... You would be able to adjust the "zooming" during the gameplay, which would be nice not only for some nice eye-candy screenshots but also to adjust the "zooming" inside of the train cabs and outside of the train. On MSTS you can change the FOV for the different views, though it would still be very nice of trying to put this FOV change during gameplay. Just probabbly something to add on the wish list! :oldstry:

#17 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

I will speak of a "normal" field of view, In photography a lens and sensor combination with an FOV of between 40 to 50 degrees us regard as "normal", A short length lens will be a wide view etc. This "normal" view comes about because when one is looking at in image either as a hard copy or on a monitor it is usual to view the image at a distance that will have the image occupy a 40 to 50 degree FOV, so the perspective of a "normal" lens looks correct.

For this reason OR looks wide, changing "viewingFOV" to around 26 corrects this, so then OR looks "normal".

A point I will make clear I regard OR as an/will be an accurate driving simulator for that reason it would be nice if it was flexible enough to set it up to the best driving conditions possible.

A driver __MUST__ be able to identify signals and signs etc ahead of him, this cannot be one on a wide view. If someone wishes OR to be a country side simulator or scenery simulator thats great as long as in the end its flexible enough to be set up as one wishes for its use.

As previously stated it would be great if "viewingFOV" was placed in the options menu somewhere.

Lindsay

#18 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Lindsayts, on 24 March 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

As previously stated it would be great if "viewingFOV" was placed in the options menu somewhere.

Thanks Lindsay. Worth adding to my informal wish list (nearly 70 items now).

Perhaps we ought to have a voting scheme to arrive at a consensus - say 100 points for each voter and assign one or more of them wherever you want.

Just a thought.

#19 User is offline   _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

Railworks has a zoom feature, which comes in handy when one wants to look ahead at the signals or switches.

It would indeed be nice if this zoom could be implemented in a future release of Open Rails.

#20 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

I think that Run 8 has the capability of changing zooming anywhere, inside and outside of the train.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users