• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rotating Pilot Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

Something happened between build 1427 and 1467 that now causes the pilot beam on Bill Pratts K-28 (available here at ET) to rotate around the wheels on the pilot truck. I've tried it with a couple of other steam locos but so far this seems to be the only one exhibiting this issue. Anyone else noticed this on anything? Sorry for lack of screenshot but OR does not seem to bee putting them in my screenshot folder anymore and I have not found out why yet.

#2 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

Ok got the screenshots straightened out. Here you can see that the pilot is rotating around bogie one.

Attached Image: Open Rails 2013-03-03 02-44-47.jpg

Attached Image: Open Rails 2013-03-03 02-45-01.jpg

#3 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

jared2982, on 03 March 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

Ok got the screenshots straightened out. Here you can see that the pilot is rotating around bogie one.

Open Rails 2013-03-03 02-44-47.jpg

Open Rails 2013-03-03 02-45-01.jpg

Jared,

I happaned to stumble on your post and it caught my interest given the odd spinning trailing truck that was just dealt with on Tim's NP W's when run in OR. In that case it was because of a hierarchy issue, and it got me wondering if that was the same deal going on here.

I examined the K-28 hierarchy in Shapeviewer and noticed something interesting... The way it's set up, the drivers are in the hierarchy as pairs - Drivers1&2, and Drivers3&4 parented to Main. The lead and trailing trucks, and wheels are of course in Bogie1 and Bogie2. The pilot details are in a group named "Wheels1" which is parented to Main. Of course it would be expected that something in a "Wheels1", "Wheels2", etc, group would be animated, namely the wheels. In the K-28 though, "Wheels1" only contains non-animated objects - the pilot details.

MSTS and previous versions of OR have obviously differentiated between animated and non-animated objects and treated them correctly, even if only non-animated objects are present in a group that would normally have at least 1 animated item in it. It would seem though that the OR version you're using it attempting to force animation onto the "Wheels1" group, even though it doesn't contain any animated objects in it... the result being the whole group spins around like you're seeing.

At least this is my guess as to what's going on here?

#4 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

Sounds like a good guess to me. I examined the hierarchy too and see what you are talking about. I don't know why Bill did it the way he did but I'm sure he was one of the only ways he could get the loco running in the sim. Hopefully future versions of OR will not exhibit the same problem.

#5 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

Animating shapes is a complicated operation and nobody seems to be completely sure how it works in MSTS.

V1440 (bug #1117473), V1456 (bug #1127500) and V1457 (bug #1131344) all improved OR's handling in various ways but also presumably caused this case of incorrect animation. The key question is why doesn't MSTS animate these parts?

If you could be so good as to file a bug on the bug tracker with the details in this thread, particularly the locomotive details and which bits in the hierarchy are incorrectly animated, that'd be great. That way we won't lose it. :sign_thanks:

#6 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

This may actually be the same issue as bug 1133180.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users