Elvas Tower: "New" OR Heat Exchange Parameters for Steam Locomotive? - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"New" OR Heat Exchange Parameters for Steam Locomotive? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Whilst studying the source code files for OR I came across the following parameters which are not used by MSTS.

EvaporationArea ( n )
FuelCalorific ( b )
BurnRateMultiplier ( c )

By default these parameters are applied a value, if they are not defined in the ENG file. They appear to however be working parameters which will impact the loco if you add them to the engine section of the ENG file.

Evaporation Area - I assume that this is the amount of area able to exchange heat in the boiler. The units appear to be in "Sq Metres".

Fuel Calorific - appears to allow for different fuels such as coal, wood, etc. (default = 33400) The units appear to be in "Joules per Kg"

Burn Rate Multiplier - I am not certain what this is but it was set to a value of 1 by default.

Perhaps the developers could confirm my assumptions above and add any additional helpful info.

If the units are metric, I would like to ask that consideration be given to having common input units, ie all imperial or all metric, rather then a mixture of the two.

I have added them to one of my locomotives to test and the "prototype" Evaporation Area values appear to leave the loco without enough steam generation.

I would be interested to see what other peoples experiences might be when adding these parameters

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Did you make allowance for the heating surfaces of the firebox and all the boiler tubes? It's not easy info to find, so you have to poke about in various resources.

Cheers Bazza

#3 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Hi Bazza,

I used figures that were published by railways and included the firebox and tubes.

The figure was 1916 sq ft (176 sq m). Based on some rules of thumb published by the railways, this should have produced about 18,000 lbs of steam.

Probably the physics model still needs more work.

Cheers

Peter

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users