Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A hi-res cab for a steamer Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Below is a hi res (2560x1600) cab for a steamer, the loco in question is Victorian Railways H220. Although the particular loco used for this sreen shot is a SAR (South Australian Railways) 500 class (Note, I have used this cabview for 3 steamers H220, SAR 500 and NSW 57/58 class. The actual screen shot (and cabview size) is 2560x1600 but the images has been scaled down to 1920x1600. As usual with my cabviews this is intended to be a "drivers" cabview, ie the loco can be driven completely from the "F1" screen. Notice the signal visble in th middle distance. All gauges are __clearly__ visible, Note also this is one of the few locos (even made by VR) that has all the gauges within easy siting distance.

The cabview is actually incomplete as I forgot to take the side view shots and the museum has been closed for repairs in recent times (I've actaully used the side view shots from the SAR 500 cabview). If anyone wishes to try it, yell out and I will attach the required files.

A __GREAT__ deal of effort has been put into making the view easily ledgible, all though there is a small error in the cylinder gauge needle (the smaller brake gauge red needle), the needle image not being quite centred correctly.

Lindsay

Warning the image below is 1920x1200..........

Attached Image: Open_Rails_2013-01-08_12-19-01_1920x1200.jpg

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

Well done, that looks a treat, Lindsay.

Cheers Bazza

#3 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:29 AM

WOW! That's very impressive, Lindsay.
It only works in ORTS, right?

:pleasantry:

#4 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

thegrindre, on 08 January 2013 - 03:29 AM, said:

WOW! That's very impressive, Lindsay.
It only works in ORTS, right?

:sign_sorry:

Yes

#5 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

Technicaly, the background photo is a combination of 4 images. although some one would have to know H220 ___VERY___well to pick the alterations. The basic photos is taken from the drivers eye position, the problem with this though from the point of view of a train sim cabview is that the steam pressure and brakes gauges are facing slightly left and the speed recorder is actualy not perfectly vertical, being tilted slightly forward at the top. So a separate photos was taken directly in front of the gauges and another of the speed recorder and a fourth photo was used of the small brake gauge from a VR X class, this gauge actually being in better condition, One can notice the shadows on this gauge are slightly different as th X class has side windows in the cab. Great care needs to be taken in combining the images so joins are not visible.

The devil is in the detail :sign_sorry:

Lindsay

#6 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

Just a minor comment......

It seems most think it needs some kind of special skill to do image manipulation in doing a 2D cabview. Now before starting these series of cabviews I had _____NEVER______ touched an image manipulation program at all. For all image work I use gimp running on a Linux system. The main skill in 2D cab work is actual getting the ALL the images required as in this case it was determind in the cab itself separate shots of the gauges were going to be required.

Lindsay

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users