• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Horseshoe Curve dark signals Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   JohnS 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR, MSTS, Railworks

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:23 AM

can someone help me fix my dark signals in the route and maybe help with the other errors.

Specs:
Asus M2N-SLI
AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+ 3.2Ghz
4GB ram
Nvidia Geforce 8800GT in SLI
Raid 0
Soudblaster Audigy 2

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

Hi John,

I can't find that activity.
I get dark signals when starting from Altoona.

Cheers
Derek

#3 User is offline   JohnS 

• Fireman

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:03 AM

It's one of the Activities that came with the SLI Horsecurve Trainset. So far I haven't had any lighted signals anywhere in any activity. I just can't figure it out.

#4 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

JohnS, on 19 October 2012 - 07:03 AM, said:

It's one of the Activities that came with the SLI Horsecurve Trainset. So far I haven't had any lighted signals anywhere in any activity. I just can't figure it out.

There is a limited number of "light objects" that can be in use at any given time in MSTS. Both signals, locomotives, and rolling stock consume "light objects" for every light defined on them. Because of the design of the signals on that route (Position-light signals with 6-12+ lights per signal) the signals use a lot of lights. But the signals end-up being the lowest priority when lights are needed for locomotives and rolling stock... so if you run out of light objects you end up with insufficient light objects for signals. The result is dark signals in some or all spots on the route.

There are two possible solutions:
  • Ensure you're using the latest MSTSBin version(s). Bin increased the total number of lights to 512 in the latest builds. MSTS's default was something like 64.
  • Remove lights from rolling stock you do not need. Many pieces of equipment come with one or more lights defined, such as for an EOT FRED light. Most of those can be eliminated in lieu of using an actual FRED "car" at the end of the train.
A third "solution," but of less practical value, is to try making your consists smaller.

#5 User is offline   JohnS 

• Fireman

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:51 AM

jovet, on 21 October 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

There is a limited number of "light objects" that can be in use at any given time in MSTS. Both signals, locomotives, and rolling stock consume "light objects" for every light defined on them. Because of the design of the signals on that route (Position-light signals with 6-12+ lights per signal) the signals use a lot of lights. But the signals end-up being the lowest priority when lights are needed for locomotives and rolling stock... so if you run out of light objects you end up with insufficient light objects for signals. The result is dark signals in some or all spots on the route.

There are two possible solutions:
  • Ensure you're using the latest MSTSBin version(s). Bin increased the total number of lights to 512 in the latest builds. MSTS's default was something like 64.
  • Remove lights from rolling stock you do not need. Many pieces of equipment come with one or more lights defined, such as for an EOT FRED light. Most of those can be eliminated in lieu of using an actual FRED "car" at the end of the train.
A third "solution," but of less practical value, is to try making your consists smaller.

Thanks Jovet,
I will start by eliminating the lights on cars since I have the latest Bin patch then go from there. Does OR use msts Light Objects or have it's own line of command? Also is it possible to increase the Light Objects number higher then 512? and use the route specificly for OR?

#6 User is offline   JohnS 

• Fireman

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

Ok so the freight cars don't have any Lights defined in the wag files. the signals work in MSTS but not in OR

#7 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

JohnS, on 22 October 2012 - 06:51 AM, said:

I will start by eliminating the lights on cars since I have the latest Bin patch then go from there. Does OR use msts Light Objects or have it's own line of command? Also is it possible to increase the Light Objects number higher then 512? and use the route specificly for OR?

Sorry, I totally missed that you were talking about OR and not MSTS. My response was aimed at MSTS. OR shouldn't have the light limitations that MSTS has.

It looks like OR is having trouble loading the signal scripting files, but it doesn't really say why. I get the same exceptions on startup that you got. That's why the signals are dark.
However, my signaling systems (as Horseshoe Curve uses) don't yet work right in OR, so I'd say you're not really missing much with the dark signals. :crazy:

#8 User is offline   JohnS 

• Fireman

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

Oh ok I understand its a script issue with OR. I'll just wait for a change then and guess what the signal r lol

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users