• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Logging Mallet Trying new things Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:51 AM

I started this little logging mallet last weekend. And it has a new feature. It's all one locomotive and it's articulated too. It has 3 bogies, 8 drivers (4 on the main object and 4 on the bogie) plus the front and rear bogies. I originally had bogie1 parented to bogie2 but that didn't work. The wheels ended up below the roadbed. So I went back and parented the bogie1 to the main object with the pivot at the rear of the bogie and now everything works as it should. I also attached the articulating pipe to the bogie1 and it rotates with bogie for another great visual effect.

Sorry about the gray textures. This is experimenting you know.
I'll try and get some shots later today of her on some tight turns.
Attached Image: Articulation.jpg
Attached Image: Articulation2.jpg

The only problem I'm having is to get the light to articulate with the front bogie2. And the lights aren't lined up yet anyway as I stole this engine file from the Berkshire. I think this file may have more than I need anyway.

The other thing that I like about this modeling for OR is that it is so forgiving in the naming conventions for part's. The front Bogie2 has Wheels5 thru 8 while the rear Main object has Wheels1 thru 4. I also noticed that when naming rods that are animated, that Rod07, 007, 0007, 00007, Rod07.1, 07.2, 07.3, 07.4 and Rod01 thru Rod09 all work without problems. Still more to do here to find out where the limits are.

Now how flexible is that!

This is a fun little project.

Allen

#2 User is offline   Mipman25 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:03 AM

Nice work on this engine, Allen! Is this a NG or SG engine? Only con about using one eng file/shape for articulateds is that you don't get that syncopated "chug-CHUG" sound when running it.

#3 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

Try attaching that light to the bogie frame.

Looks like an interesting model. Hmmm.

:sign_rockon:

#4 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

Nice work on this engine, Allen! Is this a NG or SG engine? Only con about using one eng file/shape for articulateds is that you don't get that syncopated "chug-CHUG" sound when running it.

Dustin

A mallet has the same chug, chug as a regular steam locomotive. I think you must be thinking of an articulated simple locomotive which would have 4 beats possibly. Right? With a Mallet only the front cylinders eject through the stack. And it is standard gauge Open Rails only.

Rick

With this one there is no separate engine file for the front engine or bogie frame. Although in saying this I think I just figured out a way. A dummy engine just for the light. Ain't it fun.

Allen

#5 User is offline   Mipman25 

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:29 AM

Oh, I didn't know about that. In that case, yours would sound like a real Mallet.

#6 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

View PostB & O GUY, on 17 October 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

Dustin

A mallet has the same chug, chug as a regular steam locomotive. I think you must be thinking of an articulated simple locomotive which would have 4 beats possibly. Right? With a Mallet only the front cylinders eject through the stack. And it is standard gauge Open Rails only.

Rick

With this one there is no separate engine file for the front engine or bogie frame. Although in saying this I think I just figured out a way. A dummy engine just for the light. Ain't it fun.

Allen

Ha ha haa, sometimes you gotta talk it out to figure it out. ;)

:sign_rockon:

#7 User is offline   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

Weyerhaeuser 200 & 201 I presume? Wow! Very nice.

Steve

#8 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

Weyerhaeuser 200 & 201 I presume? Wow! Very nice.

Steve

I think you are one of the great presume-ers. And you would be correct in that presumption. 201 to be exact.

I have to learn to stay away from the loggingmallet.railfan.net web site. Every time I go there I see all kinds of project's.

And I believe some of those great photo's of steam locomotives from day's gone by would be your's. And Jon Davis's beautiful art work should be mentioned too.

Do you have any detail pictures or drawing's of 201 Steve? I'm lacking the lead and trailing truck information. In fact I'm just using the information that came with Jon's drawing.

Thanks

Allen

#9 User is offline   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

Allen,

There's an engine I really don't have anything on. Mostly, I have Rayonier info. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the model railroad magazines has published plans for them. There are lots of photos of brass models of those engines as well. As far as I know, they were the largest locomotives built specifically for a logging line.

Back in the early 70's, I got to fire and run the Weyerhaeuser 2-6-6-2 #6 at Snoqualmie. It seemed plenty big!

Steve

#10 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Steve

I collected every drawing and photo on that site last Thursday for the second time. :sign_rockon: I had all of them before and lost them with the great crash three years ago. The day Acronis backup over wrote the boot section of my hard drive. ;) That's the day I decided to make 2 logical drives in one hard drive and keep all those things I wanted to save on drive D.

There are several drawings there I would like to convert to 3D including the Deep River Logging #7.

Thank you for your information.

Allen

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users