• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Open Rails rendering. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   xreightaa 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

Hi, new to this forum from Sydney, Australia.

I've been experimenting with Open Rails and was wondering how exactly the graphics are enhanced by Open Rails. I may be wrong, but some screenshots look much more realistic.

Thanks.

#2 User is online   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

Open Rails uses DirectX 11 9. MSTS used DirectX5 or 6 (I don't recall which) 7. The difference is most visible in the color depth and shadowing... and if you have a good display, higher screen resolution, including wide screen.

Edits: corrected versions
:lol2:

#3 Inactive_nyc01_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

Genma Saotome, on 15 October 2012 - 10:12 PM, said:

Open Rails uses DirectX 11. MSTS used DirectX5 or 6 (I don't recall which). The difference is most visible in the color depth and shadowing... and if you have a good display, higher screen resolution, including wide screen.

OpenRails using DirectX 11?

At this point OR is only using DirectX 9 (any use of DirectX 11 features is probably a long way off), MSTS used DirectX 7.

#4 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

xreightaa, on 15 October 2012 - 10:08 PM, said:

I've been experimenting with Open Rails and was wondering how exactly the graphics are enhanced by Open Rails. I may be wrong, but some screenshots look much more realistic.

We don't do any explicit enhancements on the MSTS content but there are a few items that will usually result in better looking visuals in Open Rails:

• We load and display textures (.ace files) at their full 32bit colour depth, if available. MSTS would only ever use 16bit.
  • We have our own versions of the shaders which draw materials on the screen (e.g. for items that must light up at night, or be shiny, etc.) and these may (or may not!) look better than those in MSTS.
  • We do fully dynamic shadows on all objects that have shadows. MSTS would only do such things on locomotives and wagons (and maybe selected scenery?), typically it used generic circular and rectangular shadows.

#5 Inactive_nyc01_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

(any use of DirectX 11 features is probably a long way off)

From some of the information I've read XNA Framework (XNA 4.0) can only support up to DirectX 10. OpenRails currently uses XNA 3.1 so it would have to be ported to XNA 4.0 which I've also read is not an easy task (maybe someone with experience using XNA Framework or the DirectX SDK can elaborate on this?).

Another issue is the likely possibility that Microsoft is going to drop XNA Framework altogether (no support for Metro apps in Windows 8).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users