Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Actual Multi SMS Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:03 AM

I know audio is still on the low end of the totem pole for you guys, but I'd like to make a suggestion that hopefully can be possible with OR. As we know, default MSTS SMS files can have 2 or 3 'Groups' in them. But for my recent experiments, only the first one really works for all engine, or cab sounds. And for the most part, that's efficient for most cases. But I've been upgrading Passenger sounds recently, and the only way to hear the engines horn and bell in the cars is via activating PassengerCam () in the ENG.sms. The problem here is, if you're in a car directly behind the engine - it sounds like it's right there in the seat beside you!

So why Kuju put in the multi 'groups' was a mystery, but then I thought Aha! That's to differentiate different activations and control the components thereof. IE; The first 'group' of a ENG.sms would activate only on ExternalCam (), and deactivate on CabCam () and PassengerCam () Now the theory I thought Kuju might be following is that the second 'group' could be independent. Thus allowing for a different activation, mix and control of the same WAV sounds or others. IE; second 'group' would activate on PassengerCam () and deactivate on CabCam () and ExternalCam () And all components then in the second group could be mixed at say half volume, tweek the frequency curves, or delete/add streams and/or WAV's corresponding to the triggers.

If this could be actually realized in Open Rails, it could make for a more realistic audio experience than MSTS and possibly other sims. But I know too when it comes to programming, easier said than done. :sign_welcome:
Hopefully this is something you can consider down the road at least.

#2 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

Noisemaker, on 14 October 2012 - 07:03 AM, said:

Hopefully this is something you can consider down the road at least.

These are good ideas.

#3 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

Thanks Wayne. It's one of those things that seem so small, but such a mountain at the same time. A simple thing like hearing a muted engine/horn/bell in a adjacent passenger car, and what a nightmare it becomes to make realistic. And of course things like InvisioCar and what all just becomes 'six of one, half dozen of the other'. As then one could hear a more realistic engine sound via it's SMS - but then no horn or bell, because it's not being 'driven'. I noticed Kuju put in these multiple 'groups' early on, and I've been zapping them madly just to lighten SMS size and make more organized. But is a shame these 'groups' can't be put to better use before the last closing bracket at the bottom.

And not to toot my own horn (pardon the pun), but I think I've made some breakthroughs in passenger audio realism with new SMS's. Can't divulge too much as I'm not sure if TigerTrains or Great North Rails may release them. But anyone that's familiar with Brian Eno or David Cunninghams musical theory of 'repetition forces change'. I put it to great effect for MSTS audio I think. And so frustrating to have it trumped as I approach the engine through the cars using 5 view.

#4 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

And to better show what I mean, I've created a small video. Now VIA 1st Class is usually right behind the engine. So as impressive as this video may sound, it's missing that extra chunk of believability. I have specially crafted the interior cab sounds to be acoustically muffled. So for awhile I did activate PassengerCam via the Cab.SMS. But then one gets every throttle notch, bell release and all that as well. And much to my chagrin, there's no volume fade or doppler effect for Cab.SMS whatsoever. So to activate PassengerCam via Cab.SMS - the volume is constant to the amount of the distance set. IE; a distance of (50) cab sounds will be heard in the first coach behind the train, but not the second car. A distance of 500 to 5000, the can sounds will be heard in the last car at the same intensity as they're heard in the cab still. So I don't think a secondary cab 'group' could be as useful as engine 'group' - but possibly for steam trains?

Anyhow, here's the quick video of my interior audio work...

Would be so nice to hear some of the engine in there. And being my GTA route, I literally could drive my trains from 1st Class facing backwards, as I know the route so well now. Or, at least think I do. :sign_welcome:

#5 User is offline   Steamhammer 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

Noisemaker, on 14 October 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

Would be so nice to hear some of the engine in there. And being my GTA route, I literally could drive my trains from 1st Class facing backwards, as I know the route so well now. Or, at least think I do. :lol2:

WAUWW!! Sounds greate Steven!!! http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/good2.gif

Just like being there in real life!

Is it possible/legal to copy it to my other passenger wagons?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users