• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An interesting discvover and some bugs Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

First the problems......

If one over shoots a platform OR V800 does not register a stop, one MUST have the cab of the leading car in the platform, In this case it was a 4 car Bluebird DMU stopping at Penola on the "Adelaide hills and SE" route. Penola will only take around 2.5 cars I over shot by 3 metres and had to back up to register a stop.

I find this a relatively critical error as in Victoria it has been normal for many years for a train that is to long for the platform to stop the train with the rear cars in the platform.

Second one is a real weird one.
Again this is with the Adelaide hills route and only appears to occur with an activity.
When one starts an activity from Mt Gambier (I have not as yet tried other stations) If one selects "forward" and leave the train like that the frame rate drops down to below half and gets VERY jerky, graphic peformance being terrible (this is in a high spec system). If one the puts the train back into "neutral" before the frame rate has drop much and wait till after one has meant to leave then put it into forward the sim behaves OK. If have tried 2 activitys both involving Bluebird DMU's both have done the same thing.
I do not regard this as a big deal as one can easily get around the issue.

An interesting discovery,
Now I nearly did not put this up as the OR developers have not said anything about this,
but.................

This version of OR supports two pipe brake systems and it appears to work properly. I have compared with two descriptions of the workings of twin pipe brake systems and the workings in OR match both descriptions.
The F5 brake information comes up with the following info,
Car number, number or pipes, Brake cylinder P, Brake pipe P, Auxil Resv P, Emergency Resv P, Main Resv Pipe P, and finaly brake state.
There is a small bug which I an currently trying to isolate between the 2 pipe brake working or the loco I am using and this is when one applies the brake the brake line pressure continues to fall after the key is released. You can stop this fall by hitting the release key, ie standard single pipe brake behavour. After that though for this particular brake application the brake line pressure becomes proportional to the time the brake apply key is pressed until the brakes are released.
One enables two pipe working by simply building a consist of vehicles all having............

BrakeSystemType( "Air_twin_pipe" )

Note: such vehicles are almost non existant as twin pipe working does not work in MSTS. I edited some eng and wag files.

Clear as mud ???

Lightning all over the place at the moment here same as yesterday,
Another day with out my computors............ sigh.

Anyway well done OR!
Lindsay

#2 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

The bug mentioned for the twin pipe brake system in fact is not a bug its the implementation of the eng parameter "TrainBrakesControlMinPressreReduction". I have not noticed the behaviour being this destinct before.

I am increasingly happy with the performance of the the twin pipe brake system and am considering converting all my appropriate pass stock over to it.

Lindsay

#3 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

View PostLindsayts, on 27 September 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

If one over shoots a platform OR V800 does not register a stop, one MUST have the cab of the leading car in the platform, In this case it was a 4 car Bluebird DMU stopping at Penola on the "Adelaide hills and SE" route. Penola will only take around 2.5 cars I over shot by 3 metres and had to back up to register a stop.

I find this a relatively critical error as in Victoria it has been normal for many years for a train that is to long for the platform to stop the train with the rear cars in the platform.

This used to work, I believe - as long as any part of the train is overlapping the platform, it should be registered (just to allow for all cases and make it more forgiving). We'll definitely work on a fix.

View PostLindsayts, on 27 September 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

When one starts an activity from Mt Gambier (I have not as yet tried other stations) If one selects "forward" and leave the train like that the frame rate drops down to below half and gets VERY jerky, graphic peformance being terrible (this is in a high spec system). If one the puts the train back into "neutral" before the frame rate has drop much and wait till after one has meant to leave then put it into forward the sim behaves OK. If have tried 2 activitys both involving Bluebird DMU's both have done the same thing.
I do not regard this as a big deal as one can easily get around the issue.

This is very likely caused by the current, temporary signalling code we have. It was significantly improved for this release (so many more activities work) but at some cost to performance, depending on track/location/switch states. You will probably see this in the F5/HUD DEBUG tab showing a 95+% Updater Process value. We have a complete replacement that does not suffer from these performance issues well in development and currently being tested, but it was too big a change for this release.

#4 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 29 September 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

This used to work, I believe - as long as any part of the train is overlapping the platform, it should be registered (just to allow for all cases and make it more forgiving). We'll definitely work on a fix.

This is very likely caused by the current, temporary signalling code we have. It was significantly improved for this release (so many more activities work) but at some cost to performance, depending on track/location/switch states. You will probably see this in the F5/HUD DEBUG tab showing a 95+% Updater Process value. We have a complete replacement that does not suffer from these performance issues well in development and currently being tested, but it was too big a change for this release.

Many thanks for the reply, you are entirely correct on the updater process it was running at 100%. One notices it on occasion.

I may say that I am impressed with this release for the first time I was able to drive the entire 305 mile distance from MT Gambier to Adelaide without the sim doing something strange/weird except it did not register the last stop at Adeliade station.

Lindsay

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users