• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My 4-4-0 Tribute Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

Awesome work by Sandy River Tom, and all involved to make the Bill Smith 4-4-0 such an amazing engine. It helped recreate one of my long time desires to see the I. B & O pulling old CNR cars. Technically, I should've done this on the Uxbridge sub of my GTA route - but it's in the hospital at the moment. So I've been concentrating on the great L&PS route once again. Great looking engine on a great looking route.
What could be finer? :oldstry:

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

That's the great thing about this hobby, you can sometimes make the 'impossible' happen, such as bring long gone locomotives back to life.

Some classic steam shots in that video; well done to all involved.

Cheers Bazza

#3 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

Thanks Captain. And is amazing how we're not really hard done by at all now. I remember when MSTS first came out, I thought if I could just get 1 Canadian engine, and pretend Marias Pass was in British Columbia, I'd be a happy man. And when Canadian things did start coming out, I snagged them like a mad magpie. But not to fault the model makers and reskinners - they just weren't quite right. A few days ago I suddenly realized - I'm sitting in the dining car of the ONR Tee train in Union Station watching GO and VIA trains come and go as I had 5min to kill - and for a moment, it really seemed REAL! I had to do a head shake and realize 'no it's just MSTS still'. But Tom's model is just so dang good, it's a thin line to be 'recreating' a moment to actually 'reliving it' - even if you've never lived it before. Very amazing in one way, very creepy in another. :oldstry:

#4 User is offline   Mipman25 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:35 AM

Steven, you seem to have left the cylinder cocks open for the entire video. You can close and open them by pressing the C key on the keyboard. Great video, though.

#5 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:17 AM

Thanks Diustin. Goes to show what I know about steam trains, huh? :oldstry: When should I be hitting C for best performance - 5mph, 10, etc?

#6 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:36 AM

'C' will close the cocks. It should be done within 15 to 30 feet or so after starting off. All you're doing is 'cleaning' or clearing out the cylinders of any excess water or condensation.
Water is bad, steam is good. :lol2:
Yes, you're loosing power and speed leaving them open. After all, you've created a major steam leak.

:oldstry:

#7 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

Well so much for me getting the Head Engineer position at the Steam Historical Society. :)

Wondered why it was so slow, and figured it's just a tough climb out of PS and with all those cars in tow. :D

But good stuff to know, thanks Rick! I was just happy to lash them up and make them go at first. But think I've got something a little better in mind now. So hopefully a new and better video will be up shortly. ;)

#8 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

Hey, I'm just learning this boiler stuff too! All in all, a nice little video and sentiment, Steve.

#9 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

Thanks Tim. :) And wow! I thought you were a juice head all the way! :D Funny how we all get lured back to this steam stuff. The coal dust must;ve permeated and affected the male DNA somehow?

#10 User is offline   johnfrum 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

Great work on that video, Steve!

I appreciate you mentioning me at the end, but if you knew how little I had to do with creating that loco you'd put Tom's name in a 72-point display font and mine in the sort of fine print you see on an insurance contract :D .

-JF-

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users