Elvas Tower: Modeling projects: textures - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Modeling projects: textures anything related to texturing or 'skinning'.... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

Intro....

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

As of version 1170, most of the MSTS protocols appear to still work in OR. Source files are .BMP or .TGA depending on their purpose. Alphas (.TGA) work okay once you get the hang of the display order. MSTS based protocols and MSTS based conversion tools are still required.

OR handles 32bit/24bit standard skinning textures in square format, ie 32x32, 64x64, 128x128, 256x256, etc ~ through to 2048x2048 and it's rumoured also 4096x4096.

2d cabview texture protocols are a different ballgame. See the MSTS original documentation.

I only use ZLIB compression, so perhaps someone might like to comment on other compression protocols, thanks.

The above information may change at a future date.

Cheers Bazza

#3 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

OR, well the cabview in v0.7 anyway will handle textures larger than 2048x2048 and will handle rectangular textures. I having tried 2560x1600, worked OK. Although my default resolution for the hi-res cabviews is 2048x1280. Note, these are the textures sizes actaully used.

Lindsay

#4 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:16 AM

I threw together a small corner Open Rails logo for any Open Rails models exclusively..
You are welcomed to use it for any OR models of your own.

Here's a blown up shot for clarity.
Attached Image: ORmodelLogo2.jpg

The original 64x100 bit map file can be DLed here;
Attached File  ORmodelLogo.zip (9.06K)
Number of downloads: 478

I'm using it like this;

Attached Image: orlogo1.jpg

:wub:

#5 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

The trick is how to define what the difference between and OR and MSTS compatible model.

At the moment, I believe that would be too difficult to define a certain standard, unless at some stage OR allows model functions (including additional shaders) that will not work in MSTS. Model complexity is also a factor.

I guess the best method of testing scenery type objects built for OR, is to choose a test route and install models in it. The route should be one that can easily be reinstalled and one you can avoid opening in MSTS.

Cheers Bazza

#6 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:36 AM

As I mentioned elsewhere, any model that won't load or run in MSTS but will, for whatever reasons in ORTS, would constitute an Open Rails model. Be it special texturing techniques, exceptionally high polygon count or any additional wagon or engine file additions that MSTS doesn't recognize.
That's putting it in a nut shell but is pretty easy to understand, IMHO. :pleasantry:

:oldstry:

#7 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:34 AM

As I mentioned elsewhere, any model that won't load or run in MSTS but will, for whatever reasons in ORTS, would constitute an Open Rails model.

That's a good starter. :pleasantry:

Cheers Bazza

#8 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:28 AM

The trick is how to define what the difference between and OR and MSTS compatible model.

At the moment, I believe that would be too difficult to define a certain standard, unless at some stage OR allows model functions (including additional shaders) that will not work in MSTS. Model complexity is also a factor.

I guess the best method of testing scenery type objects built for OR, is to choose a test route and install models in it. The route should be one that can easily be reinstalled and one you can avoid opening in MSTS.

Cheers Bazza

As I mentioned elsewhere, any model that won't load or run in MSTS but will, for whatever reasons in ORTS, would constitute an Open Rails model. Be it special texturing techniques, exceptionally high polygon count or any additional wagon or engine file additions that MSTS doesn't recognize.
That's putting it in a nut shell but is pretty easy to understand, IMHO.

Guy's

I'm building models in what would be considered past the ability of MSTS to load. Their not in the terrible range but have more animation's and more poly's than some of the high poly models that currently work in MSTS. And although it has been said somewhere here that a few have 100,000 poly models in MSTS that cause no problems, they have few complex shapes in them. The complexity of shapes is what causes the problems in MSTS but have little affect on OR. OR is way more flexible when it comes to model's with no or few sub object's in their makeup. OR is the easy path to victory. Too bad some of the new aspiring modelers out there haven't discovered this yet.

Allen

ADDY; Open Rails will run models with NO textures. No kidding.

#9 User is offline   Mipman25 

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

That's pretty interesting, Allen. Would separating a high-poly model into two pieces (i.e. Tom Werb's Baldwin 4-4-0) allow it to run in MSTS, or would texture and animation quirks get in the way?

#10 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

Dustin

This is an Open Rails discussion forum. We're talking about model definition. Not what if's.

Allen

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users