Elvas Tower: Ummm...shouldn't that be going FORWARD? - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ummm...shouldn't that be going FORWARD? warning, stupid question from stupid(er) person! :D Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   sawyer811 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Trainz/MSTS

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

I stick to my chosen cold remedy; find the the nearest steam locomotive that happens to be boiling out soot and smoke, then jam my head down the smokestack to clear my lungs :rofl2::oldstry:

and yes, M&U No. 5 has stolen my heart in many ways: she may not be the prettiest, but I always was (and am) a sucker for big ol' fat boilered, brutish, "Get outta my way before I make you into my pilot ornament!" steamers. Currently I've got the mechanics and pipe fitters in the backshop going over her for about the fourth time. Sadly, they haven't had much luck.

#12 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

I don't blame you for your strong interest, in M&U #5. I've never found a photo of any Baldwin that looks like her, so she may have been a one off, which is unusual for them.

She runs okay (display-wise) in earlier versions of OR.

Cheers Bazza

#13 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

View PostB & O GUY, on 07 August 2012 - 03:47 AM, said:

sawyer811

From the readme file you received with the B&O Consolidation model you downloaded.

I tested the model on and off for six or so month's before uploading it here. It needs a 51% reverser in the forward position to start. That's model only. You may need more under load. This seams to be a quirk with Open Rails at the moment.

I have heard nothing from any of the other people who have downloaded the model so I can't tell you if any others are having the problem you are referring to.

And remember. This is "BETA test" and as you are a tester, I would appreciate your feed back. Please feel free to contact me here at ET.

Allen

Now its quite possible Lindsay does not have this thread clear but............

OR taking more than 50% of valve gear travel is a quirk but one that is based on reality. If a 2 cylnder locomotive stops with the piston of one cylinder on a dead centre (right at the end of travel) and the cuttof is set to less than 50% there will be no open path in the cylinders valves from the steam chest to the cylinder of the loco and said loco will not start. Now there was some latter 2 cylinder locos with restriced maximum cuttoffs , ie a maximum cuttof of less then 50 % these locos had special starting ports in the piston valve cylinder which at low steam flows allowed the valve gear to have an effective maximum cutt off of greater than 50%.
This restriction does not apply to 3 cylinder locos as at 50 % cuttoff there will always be a valve path open no matter where the loco stops.

So OR not starting at 50% or below is a simplified version of reality for 2 cylinder machines

Lindsay

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users