• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Message Fade In and Continuation? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:40 AM

Ahh, interesting Eric - so it was a Bin feature that was trying to get worked in then? Too bad, that would've been wonderful for not only messages, but additional sound effects and what not as well.

In my studies of SMS files, Eng, Wag, and Sound Source - I'd say Kuju 'over did them' and/or just 'did them wrong'. Hence why things would lock up and/or make MSTS crash, Many of the default SMS would have repeated sound blocks in them, which best as I can figure was tacked in for reference. But on some of them, things were conflicting. Not that it would directly affect the priority sounds, but I think must've been confusing to MSTS's process as to what it should be scanning for. and playing. Coupled with the fact Kuju was using 'Cue Points' as well as 'Loop Points' on a lot of it's WAV's - which threw me for a loop as well.
MSTS prefers one OR the other. Loop points are good for long repeating sections where trigger accuracy isn't a factor. IE; Dynamic brakes, compressors, bells. Whereas cue points are the better in that they can 'retrigger' the sound more readily between the first and last markers, So for something like a horn or whistle that has a long looped section for it's sustain, many cue points in between them can shorten the response time greatly.

So I think as I and other 'sound gurus' are cleaning up and/or making new SMSs, we're keeping this in mind, And I think MSTS fairs better for it. Much like intense polys on a structure, I think MSTS can only handle a certain amount on tiles before FPS drops. And I think the same goes for sound still. I think a lot of the new engine and external sounds or done much more efficiently now - but what the limit to them on a tile or act can be, I'm not sure? I'd say 3 to 5 well done/cleaned up Sound Sources, one should be more than fine with on a tile. Now when it comes to pushing Khz range with Eng sounds and such, I'm still out with the jury on that one. To a small extent on a Player engine, or Passenger view - I think it should be okay by and large. Other AI's utilizing them, along with say 6 11k sound sources all converging on the same tile such as a yard. That could probably throw MSTS for a tizz still? If the engines were all playing 11k sounds as well - possibly better? Like structure polys and object counts, it seems to make sense in theory. :pleasantry:

And thanks Chris, you seem to know exactly what I'm after and understand it completely. I think even The Grindre will like it if it could be implemented into OR like were talking about. :whistling:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users