Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hey, Juice Heads! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

Would anyone be interested in these sounds to use?

Just me being the blind man at the orgy again, but think it feels right to me at least. :)

#2 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

View PostNoisemaker, on 18 July 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

Would anyone be interested in these sounds to use?

Just me being the blind man at the orgy again, but think it feels right to me at least. :)

Very nice! Although the forman got a call from the folks who live along Horton street complaining about all the whistle blowing. Its been outlawed in London since the early 1900's!

I'd like to get a copy of the sounds if you feel like posting them sometime.

#3 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

Wow, I did not know that! And with those cars playing chicken at the crossings and all. Not that I figured the whistle had too much effect, but gave me piece of mind at least. :cool3:

Let me put a little more spit and polish on these, as it's still good exercise for me learning these SMS's. I should also point out some of the sounds are at 22khz now (compressor and brake sound so far) And want to see what I can do for that poor whistle and gong. I think they'll improve at 22 or 44 if I have to. But with your infinite wisdom of the L&PS Wayne - would you say the current ones are close proximity's? I'm so used to diesels and bells and all, these guys always make me feel like I'm on a steam driven streetcar. B) If you know of any good YouTube examples et al from Halton County Radial or the like. When I do a search, I just wind up with streetcars and trolleys at best.

Anyhow, back to tweeking. And once done, I'll pack it up and upload here. At least I know I'm good for one download now. ;)

#4 User is offline   NSL Fan 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:MSTS/Railworks

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

Incoming critique from this traction nut...

In a nutshell, I like the sounds. The Air Compressor in particular is a nice touch. I don't think a car is complete without that thump-a-thump-a-thump-a-thump of the compressor. One thing that bothers me is the motor sounds. They seem to "modern". Your sounds seem to feature a blower, which not a lot of cars had. The sound I recall is a low growl, much like the sounds that have been default for the longest time, (recorded on CTA 4000 series cars built in 1923 I believe.) The whistle and bell as well is pretty accurate, though it is a bit mushy. There is a sound file floating around, (came with the NSL Pullman's that Matt Austin made), of a sharper blast on an air whistle, (named CAE4005 or something like that). I tend to sub that one in to all my car's sounds. It wasn't uncommon for cars to have horns either. A particular favorite of Interurbans was the WABCO AA-2.

You mentioned that you didn't really have any "study material" for what a heavy interurban sounds like. So, I present this 2 part video of a "cab ride" on CNS&M 714 at the Illinois Railway Museum in 2009. It can give you a pretty good idea of what the typical heavy interurban sounded like. One thing to note though, the top speed at IRM is 45 mph for electric cars, so the 714 hasn't reached it's highest potential. The cars are good for about 80 MPH.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Another interesting tidbit for your consideration, comes from about 4:25 in part 1. The two high pitched bells you hear are on the communication line to the motorman. Two bells means clear to move forward. Could be an interesting adaption to the "All aboard" when departing a station. :sweatingbullets:

Best of Luck,
Zach

#5 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

I got my download - ... thanks!

I just realized that I have some 'in cab' video from some of the L&PS units. I was excided to get it out and thought it might be a help to you. But ... it was filmed in 1958 or so and its all silent film with a music track laid over. Oh well ...

#6 User is offline   pinpuller 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

The sounds are pretty well done. The bell ringing, which on most electrics was a gong, was normally used just when starting to move, in either direction. I don't ever recall a situation where it was used in conjunction with the whistle when sounding for grade crossings, but then it may of been done in some situations. Here is a video that has some great sounds of electrics in L.A.
Note: The absence of the gong sounds.

Regards,
Pinpuller

#7 User is offline   Sandy River Tom 

• Senior Foreman of Engines
  • Group: Status: Senior Foreman, Engines
  • Simulator:ORTS-V1.5.1

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

Hey Steve:
Why does the bell sound like 2 crowbars clangin' together??? :sweatingbullets:

#8 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:19 AM

Thanks guys. I too dove into YouTube and dug up some interesting interurban rides after I did all this. So yes, Wayne and Tim Muir et al were pretty well on the money, and my stuff is pretty weird in comparison. ;)
But - I do like that electric hum sound, and maybe for a boxcab or something? The horn and gong were untouched from the original upgrades by RBE for the L&PS 5h Anniversary Ed. I tried reconverting them to 22 and 44, but there wasn't much change, And didn't want to get into EQ'ing them and adding reverb and such, as I figure you die hard juice heads have your faves already. ;)

So like I say in the Read Me, feel free to take any of the new sounds and/or SMS parenthesis and incorporate them however you guys see fit. I just ask for a little credit if they wind up in a public release is all. ;)

#9 Inactive_bnsf7508_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

View PostSandy River Tom, on 19 July 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

Hey Steve:
Why does the bell sound like 2 crowbars clangin' together??? :thumbdown3:

Most likley because by the time the record was recorded the PE was very near the end of it's existance and the equipment was falling apart due to lack of maintenance. An interesting note is that the record was recorded in 1959 on a MTA 1800 Hollywood car, the same year they were scrapped.

#10 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

I guess I should say Thanks for bringing up this old thread. It got me listening to Pinpullers video again, and if anything I could get from it (at best, a good trackbed sound?) But then that led me to how I could fix up my beloved UA Turbo sounds, which led to revamping all the coach sounds for the Tiger Trains LRC Set. Where I worked harder than Quincy Jones doing Michael Jacksons Thriller album. (which went for more than 50 mixes before it was released).

So thanks BNSF7500... Thanks a LOT! :good2:

:thumbup3:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users