Elvas Tower: Calling all route builders as well as MSTS and OR users - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Calling all route builders as well as MSTS and OR users Rate Topic: -----

#1 Inactive_Walter Conklin_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

Author is no longer a member of this board

#2 User is offline   Fleegle411 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, RW, & OpR

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

Are you interested in routes that use default objects but are self-suffiecent downloads? (Meaning all the required items are right there, the route is complete and only needs to be dropped-in to the route folder)

#3 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

A question, How is the project going over at UKtrainsim to replace all MSTS default objects with freely availible replacements? Maybe its time to make this more wide spread amongst those that can build items.

I have much experience with the image manipulation program "gimp" and am currently making good headway with the 3D program "blender" but have yet to come across a reliable way of exporting the results to the MSTS formats. Has OR consider using an open format for textures and shape files as well as sound files (note 1), this would make things way easier. Or better yet support for multiple formats to make sure we do not run into difficulties of provding content.

Note 1: Formats that existing opensource tools can RELIABLY export to, Blender for instance cannot export to all of its availble formats equally,this appears to be the case with most 3D tools though.

Lindsay

#4 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

For what it's worth Walter, my first 'payware and unique route' for MSTS was Maple Leaf Tracks 'Kicking Horse Pass' route. Though it used default track and roads I think, it retextured them and used totally new objects for vegetation, structures and vehicles. It has since been made 'freeware' and was available on Canadian Pacific's main site for some time. Recently CP has stopped hosting the MSTS goods, and not sure if the route is accessible from TS or MLT's own site? Other than 'SigView' signal lighting, MLT has become reliant on Xtracks, New Roads, and recommends MSTSbin for all it's routes. Structures and vegetation seem to be mostly rehashes of what was on previous or other routes in their catalog. Apparently Bala Sub 2.0 should be released soon, with a whole new and improved look for MLT. But again, think this is only on the structure and vegetation aspect which has sorely needed improving on.

Hope that can help some?

#5 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

I have not heard any updates this year thus far about the project to create replacements of the default MSTS content. Notwithstanding the lack of news, the Open Rails team is still very excited about this project as another way to help Open Rails move away from MSTS.

I believe it's fallen by the track as being too difficult to implement and from lack of contributors.

Cheers Bazza

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users