• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

At The Railyard: Donner Pass (RW) Review Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

See what you mean now Dave. Yes, maybe these RSC guys would've been better off doing a Maine route or somewhere on the east coast. :scarerun:

#12 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

Found an error and corrected it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Returning to the topic... I'd like to temper my comments a bit. I looked at a few other screenshots and saw things that were better (such as the very, very light surface of the ROW, which is spot-on correct) and so I don't want to leave the impression that I think everything is wrong... I was responding to what I saw in the video which, of course, is a subset.

That said, I was able to put a finger on what bothered me most: The high Sierra's a pretty rough place -- it's hot, dry, sun blazing, fire burned, broken rock, dead trees on the ground, whatever..., still very, very wild. Virtually the entire European History of California can be told in photographs -- we just havn't been here very long -- and so there's a whole lot of ground that's essentially untouched. It's not all cleaned up, rough edges smoothed off, made pretty like a park, what centuries... milenia of use can do to a place. But the later is the impression I took from the video: park-like grass, carefully manicured edges to the streams, architectural artwork trees, under a water filled sky. That difference is what I meant by all wrong, what I meant by SP does Yorkshire.

Maybe it's just too much to ask for a route to actually look like the place it represents. It does make for a more difficult-to-do task. But at the same time you'd expect that payware would be more than paying-for-freeware. On that count, to my eye, the locomotives looked pretty good and perhaps they alone make the whole package a good buy. The rest of what I saw in the video... I dunno about that.

#13 User is offline   rrfan96 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

Very true, I'm surprised that RSC who after seeing the woodhead line review, I thought of very highly. I was amazed by the number of issues the route and it's stock had. I really could not reconize many locations of the route because of that big gap between the veggies and ROW, not to mention the bridges. And I think I know what your getting at with the trees, it might be something with how there is a lack of tall pine maybe? But I'm curious about something, was this a payware route? I thought I heard somebody emntion something about it on the Youtube page.

#14 User is offline   Mipman25 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:03 AM

I thought you'd never say that you couldn't give a route the Seal of Approval. I also noticed that you didn't give this route a final score. Great review, though.

#15 User is online   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

RW has/had such potential. The visuals in RW can be stunning. Such a shame that it continues to fall short of expectations over and over again.

#16 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

I think Nick is being fair to these RSC guys in hopes they will do updates and such to redeem themselves. And maybe Nick will do a more favorable re-review when that happens. Heck, Nick reviewed MLT's GTA route, and though didn't get high marks - he did mark it. (80 something was it?) In my opinion aside from the track work on it - it's a utter embarrassment to be released as 'payware' really. Amateurs could've done a better job as a freebie on TS with it. But like Dave, I'm passionate about my GTA surroundings, so reworking it all has been a long arduous labor of love for me, which I admit I quite enjoy.

And what of these RW routes being 'retooled' by a individual? Say Dave bought it, and wanted to redo much of it - can that be relatively easy with RW? And/or correcting some of those elevations track wise? As I know that was priority 1 when MSTS was first released, and many went at fixing Marias Pass right off the bat. But again, a shame that someone has to shell out money for a route they have to labor on to make accurate, whether it's easy or out of passion.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users