• Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

The fools at McCann Erikson called me mad - but I showed them! :dance3:

#2 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:53 AM

Not sure what you're smelling, but the LRCs weren't in service until the 1980 and the "Canada" wasn't added to the cars until the late '80s. I think you are having premature smellization.

Paul :-)

#3 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

I'm not as up on the history as Ian Dodd is. But I believe he told me Amtrak was the first to start testing LRC's in the mid 70's, before VIA considered them. And I myself recall riding VIA's in the late 70's. But definitely more a '80's' thing by and large for most Canadians I agree. And amazingly the cars are still widely used. As for the engines.... We'll be lucky if they don't go the way of the Avro Arrow. ;)

And for the die hard LRC fans, this is another cobbled together promo using an actual 1981 soundtrack...

#4 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

They started test the technology in the mid seventies but the first run of the grey LRC test train on the CN Corridor was after 11 PM in the middle of winter in what I'd think was 1978 or 79.

I was here the Sunday morning when the first Amtrak trainset was test run from Montreal to Brockville, turned on the wye and ran back to Montreal at speed. Took crappy shots with my 110 camera. They had all the crossings blocked between Brockville and Morrisburg to be able to get the train up to 125 mph, that was in the spring of 1980, in the fall of 1980 I was also here in Brockville when VIA first ran trains 44 and 45 as the first LRCs between Ottawa and Toronto, stood beside the guy who too the shot of the first eastbound train that appeared in Rail Canada vol 3. A week later a friend and myself took the evening Canadian to Kingston so we could take the LRC back to Brockville... not bad for under ten bucks.

#5 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

For me, the 70's and 80's were a fog of 'altering substances' and a whole lot of pink neon and black triangles everywhere. Just amazed I didn't wind up strangling myself or someone else with my leather tie in the midst of it all. As for train stuff, I remember them about as well as cabbies here in Toronto. I got somewhere somehow at some point is best I can tell you. ;)

And here I was thinking I'd rival Men Without Hats to Aphex Twin, and wound up sounding like this...

Now THAT'S what I call 'Industrial Music'! ;)

#6 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

The models do look pretty good though, might have set the horn not to trigger the bell, wouldn't happen out on the road at speed.

I was young enough to remember the seventies!

#7 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

I was young enough to remember the seventies!

And plenty old enough not to remember, so it seems.

Cheers Bazza

#8 User is offline   Alexey_Soljenitchev 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:41 AM

The animated fold-out stairs of the passenger coaches are nothing short of amazing.

#9 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:47 AM

Thought so too Alexey.

#10 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

It's ironic that my dumb Dell XPS died right after Christmas on me. I've always used laptops for their ease and mobility, but cheesed that the QWERTY numbers didn't work the same as Keypad numbers. So when I came across this nice wide Acer that finally had a 'keypad', I laughed and thought 'Well, at least I can open doors' now'.... Then along comes Ian with his LRC's! As William Shatner would say - 'is that weird, or what?' ;) More useful in regards to RE I've learned. 10 years of meticulous mouse moves to get exact object placement. Cut in half with the keypad now!

And just to add, I've reworked the SMS's to have better volumes on things. And sure you guys will be tweeking and changing to your liking soon as you get them. Also, there are 'wiper sounds' with the 'V' key I forgot to show off. Welded Trackbed is included as well with ENG and Coach WAG's

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users