Elvas Tower: Tree Modelling in Open Rails - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tree Modelling in Open Rails Some more experiments on where we could go. Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

These are moderate poly trees - 600 to 1000 polygons total. They were machine generated using Blender's 'sapling' addon. Someone with some artistic talent could probably improve the looks a great deal but they aren't bad. As they have 3 dimensional folliage they look good from all angles and even from above. ( or even flying through them )

I've used a custom foliage shader that's programmed to brighten the foliage on the side facing the sun, and darken the folliage towards the interior of the tree. The trunk just uses the standard diffuse shader and I really like how it takes the shadows from the folliage above.

Again, I am just having some fun experimenting to see what could be done to take OR to the next level graphically. There's no guarantees that any of this will make it in to the final released version.

Attached Image: Image1.jpg

#2 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

Just to elaborate. The folliage is basically a small branch with leaves textured onto a panel that is attached to the modelled trunk like this..

Attached Image: Image2.jpg

Attached Image: Trees0065_S.jpg

#3 User is offline   D&RGW 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Run 8 Train Simulator

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

Wayne,

Could you give some additional information on the conversion utility you used for this? I have been using Blender for some time now and wasn't aware that a Blender-ORTS conversion utility was ever created (and would love to get my hands on one...) The trees look great, by the way--the screenshots you've been posting recently undoubtedly rival Railworks in terms of graphic quality!

Thank-you and cheers!

#4 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

View PostD&RGW, on 13 February 2012 - 05:32 PM, said:

Could you give some additional information on the conversion utility you used for this? I have been using Blender for some time now and wasn't aware that a Blender-ORTS conversion utility was ever created (and would love to get my hands on one...)

I wrote my own export tool so I could experiment with custom features for OR. The exporter has become fairly complete with support for LOD's, animation, etc. It generates a .s file that is usually readable by MSTS as well as OR. The exporter runs in Blender 2.61 currently. There isn't much documentation ( read that as 'no documentation' ) but I'd be willing to share it - especially to someone who was willing to do up some tutorials.

#5 User is offline   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

Wayne,

I guess that puts me in my place! Those trees are gorgeous. Here I thought I was doing so good with the ugly cruciform MSTS trees.

It's great to see progress on the quality of vegetation available for the future sims.

Steve

#6 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

View PostSVRy_Steve, on 13 February 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

Wayne,

I guess that puts me in my place! Those trees are gorgeous. Here I thought I was doing so good with the ugly cruciform MSTS trees.

It's great to see progress on the quality of vegetation available for the future sims.

Steve

There's still plenty of need for the cruciform trees. These hi-poly trees are only for the near forground. When it comes to covering a mountainside - simpler shapes are the way to go.

#7 User is offline   D&RGW 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Run 8 Train Simulator

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Wayne,

That's pretty impressive! And with animation as well? You've been doing quite a lot of work!

I certainly can't make any promises, but I'd love to take a look at that exporter sometime. I have no experience with technical documents but perhaps with your help I might be able to figure something out. I also have a few models in progress that I'd like to share at some point.

Thank-you and cheers!

#8 User is offline   Fleegle411 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, RW, & OpR

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Excellent! With trees like that and procedural vegetation, I'd say Open rails is certainly on the right rack!

#9 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

Wayne, you ol' Wampus, you're full of surprises....and they're gooduns.

Cheers Bazza :lol2:

#10 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

It's really exciting to see this. It looks SO different from msts, with the lighting and your improvements. I am happy, just looking at it!
Christopher

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users