• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The hills are alive... with the sounds of Porters! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

I have not posted a lot of screenshots before, but I have started to do so more and more...

After practicing some reskinning I whipped up some minor mods for a few pieces of equipment, and decided to try my hand at one of those "story through picture" deals.

Narrow gauge operations can be small, but the early mining and lumber lines were even smaller. The Iron Creek Mining Company is one of those, a tiny fledgling line in operation for only a few years. Until the ore seams start paying off, the line is making do with its first two engines, a pair of Porters. Trains are small, often only a few cars in length, since the Porters do not climb steep grades very well.

On a clear summer morning, Iron Creek No. 1, "Samson", pulls out of a small valley station with the 10:00 mixed. This consists of a boxcar of supplies for the miners and the railroad's only coach, the combine "Madeline".

Attached Image: a.jpg

The little engine, dwarfed by its tow, gains speed and winds up the grade into the canyon, dwarfed by the lineside vegetation.

Attached Image: b.jpgAttached Image: c.jpg

At the same time, Samsons twin, "Vulcan", threads its way down from the mines with a load of ore.

Attached Image: d.jpgAttached Image: e.jpg

Vulcan is considerably more worn than its brother, having been roughed-up in a shallow mine entrance collapse in 1869. Its black paint is worn and scuffed, and its saddle tank is coated in a rusty brown hue, having been rebuilt from scrap iron.

Attached Image: f.jpg

Meanwhile, Samson struggles up the grade, barking and panting like a little terrier.

Attached Image: g.jpg

There are no signals and no telegraph lines, so all meets are strictly timetable based, with the first train responible for halting and awaiting the oncoming one. Samson must race up the canyon to reach the siding on time, and the train rattles along the cliff edge.

Attached Image: h.jpgAttached Image: i.jpgAttached Image: j.jpg

Vulcan is also also racing to keep the schedule, though it is aided by gravity as it clatters down the grade.

Attached Image: k.jpgAttached Image: l.jpgAttached Image: m.jpgAttached Image: n.jpg

Screaming along at a paltry 20 mph, Samson still manages to seem much faster.

Attached Image: o.jpg

A few moments later, tranquility is restored to the woods as the train quietly simmers at the siding, until the determined chuff of the downgrade freight increases in volume. Moments later, Vulcan pulls into view.

Attached Image: p.jpg

Sighting Samson, Vulcan cries out in greeting.

Attached Image: q.jpg

The freight slows, and slips past the patient mixed passenger train.

Attached Image: r.jpg

It isn't often that a passenger standing on the vestibule platform can look down at a passing train's drivers!

Attached Image: s.jpg

As Vulcan slips into the distance, Samson slowly puffs off, and the two little trains part ways, high-pitched whistles hooting out across the mountain.

Attached Image: t.jpg

There is something so charming about tiny trains, dwarfed by the landscape. They seem so comical, and yet so determined, willing to put in more than their fair share of work. Big engines are wonderful, but when you are feeling blue, there is nothing quite as cheering as a small little engine, shoving its nose to the grindstone and defying all expectations and hauling loads far in excess of their own weight. :derisive:

Attached Image: z.jpg

#2 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

Nice work Bernie, and great yarn! :derisive: But you really should try to get those 'default trees' off the route for something better by Mike Sinclair or Spittler Engineering or something else at TS. Relatively easy to do with Route Riter. The route will look way better after. :pardon:

#3 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

I love those little Porters! Here's my Fiddletown & Copperopolis No 13 working a mine:
Attached Image: Mine Run w-Dump Cars 3.jpg

:rolleyes:

#4 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:17 AM

Great story, Bernie! Loved the whole thing. :rolleyes:

:bigboss:

#5 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

I keep meaning to change the trees, but I have a lot on my plate. Plus, knowing that the RGS upgrade is going to do the same thing anyway takes the wind out of my sails. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, I love that someone else remembers the ol' F&C! That being said, I don't suppose YOU were the one who committed that heinous Halloween Porter prank, eh Herb?

http://arflovers.com/Blog/images/fallberg_2.jpg

:bigboss:

#6 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

If a upgrade is coming, then yes - wait for that. Mind you, I've been waiting for this Bala Sub 2.0 from MLT forever and a day. :rolleyes: But Route Riter is really quick, as long as you got better trees loaded in the route. Just go into RE and try say 'Aspen.S' beside the 'US2tree1' and see if it's a relative size and better look to it. Then in RR, just simply select 'Replace Shape' - select US2Tree1.s - then Aspen.s - OK and done! Think I redid all the trees and Forest Regions with RR on the BCER route in less than a hour. And thankful for it too. :lol:

But then something like the Mactier Route, I went and 're-tree'd' soon as I got it. Then Ted Koycla quickly came out with a update that REALLY redid all the vegetation. Though it was better, I was still kinda ticked I wasted all that time doing what I thought was a bang up job with RR on it. Patience is a virtue sometimes. :bigboss:

#7 User is offline   charlie 

• Engineer

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:48 AM

Bernie, on 20 January 2012 - 09:39 AM, said:

I keep meaning to change the trees, but I have a lot on my plate. Plus, knowing that the RGS upgrade is going to do the same thing anyway takes the wind out of my sails.

Herb's upgrade for the RGS won't do a thing for the Silverton Branch v1. But the Silverton Branch v2 does. :rolleyes:

regards,
charlie

#8 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Simulator:ORTS

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:13 PM

Who?! Me!?!
Attached Image: Yard Goat.jpg

:rolleyes:

#9 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

Words fail me... :rolleyes:

:lol: :bigboss:

#10 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

What an enjoyable thread....was there ever a book published with the Copperpolis cartoons? Thanks.

Cheers Bazza

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users