• You cannot reply to this topic

Some OR's improvements for Cabviews Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

View Postlongiron, on 31 December 2011 - 04:57 AM, said:

Lindsay,
For the control graphics, Open Rails works very simply. It takes the control texture size and then cab view file. It determines two things: (1) there are 12 frames, arranged 4 by 3, and (2) each control texture is x by y.

The control texture file is split in to 4 by 3 frames. Open Rails then determines what the size of each control sub-division should be from this information. This should match the size of the control texture in the CVF file or Open Rails will report an error.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, Thats why it keeps spitting out an error message that the graphic as found is such and such and not 4x3, but still works.

OR does not scale down larger images (it MUST be able to scale up as the graphics are only at 640x480 and not at the monitors resolution) in the control graphics, BLAST, double BLAST. Given the advances in the cabview graphics (hi res cab images, scaled gauges) It would be great if one could use a graphics of higher resolution as one can for the gauges. Hopefully this will come in the not to distant future.

One of the main reasons for this thread is/was to show to everyone including OR's developers what was possible in the way of good 2D cab views and maybe generate some more interest, as I have a feeling a lot of people do not rate cabviews high enough.

PS, I have now done high resolution gauges on the two other cabviews I have shown on ELvasTower. It was not particularly difficult although I have yet to completely get my head around the way the horizontal parameter (Y?) is handled. Although I have at this stage not done much work on this. Its still nice OR is doing somethingto improve cab views.

Note: Hope everyone will excuse some of the spelling errors in the posts as my mind is wwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy ahead of my fingers.

Sigh................ We now have a forecast for at least two 39 degree C (102 farenheit) temperature days in a row so no more computers for Lindsay until at least Wednesday :-(.

Lindsay

#12 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

View PostTurbo Bill, on 31 December 2011 - 04:35 PM, said:

That is one good looking cab!!!! Well done.

Thanks,
I does have a down side.............. its made all the other cabviews look pathetic :sign_welcome:

#13 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

Just to show the N class was not a one off fluke, the bluebird done to the same specs, 2048x1280 background and hires gauges and needles. This is not quite as easy to drive, or to put it better the brake gauges due to the relative lack of numbering takes more getting used to.

Directly I will put up a post showing how this is down and the syntax in the CVF (while I can still remember it).

The Bluebird railcar was introduced around 1954 and was widely used around South Australia. The cab photo was kindly taken for me by the late Alan Lownsborough. It was hand held, the exposure being 1/2 second at f2.5 so its amazing it came up this good. I have not seen the actual machine itself all info mainly taken off 4 photos Alan supplied to me. The real cab has all the appearence of being a real shoe box , ie not much room.

The two rotary switchs to the right of the panel are animated, one being for the headlights and the other the reverser. In the real Bluebird I THINK the reversing switch is by air and is just below the panel. It would be nice to able to do these at high res to............sigh, Maybe in the future.

Attached Image: Bluebird_cab_Kalangadoo.jpg

Lindsay

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users