Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weather Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   CGW121 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:28 AM

I enjoy being able to change the weather. What are the plans regarding this area in the future? It would be nice to be able to place triggers in an activity that would change the weather as we go along. I would assume that these would be best placed in an activity editor so it would be a long ways down the road. I was just curious.

#2 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:19 AM

CGW121, on 21 December 2011 - 06:28 AM, said:

What are the plans regarding this area in the future?

I would assume that these would be best placed in an activity editor so it would be a long ways down the road. I was just curious.

Genma Saotome suggested "controlling fog and mist" from the activity editor a little while back and I made a note of it for the future. Don't see why that couldn't extend to other weather events such as rain or snow.

Is that what you meant?

When will it arrive? Who knows :-) It doesn't sound very difficult to add this to the *.act file and get the OR simulator to respond but there is no programme for the Activity Editor yet.

Our immediate target is OR v1.0, of course. One we get there, anything is possible !

#3 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:22 AM

CGW121, on 21 December 2011 - 06:28 AM, said:

I enjoy being able to change the weather. What are the plans regarding this area in the future? It would be nice to be able to place triggers in an activity that would change the weather as we go along. I would assume that these would be best placed in an activity editor so it would be a long ways down the road. I was just curious.

There are several things that could be improved... whether they will be improved depends entirely on finding someone who wants to do the work. At a minimum weather should be something that can be set (or changed) after you pick the activity but before it starts (to provide variety to a favorite activity). You should also be able to differentiate current precipitation from the displayed ground tertex... there's no reason (other than what's in the code) why it couldn't rain on top of a snow covered ground or snow on top of clear, winter ground, etc. etc. A more robust feature would tie the extent of cloud cover to a clock and do the same with current precipitation.

#4 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:04 PM

Have it snow towards the summit, such as it happens in the mountain routes, rather than everywhere else as well.
Cheers Bazza

#5 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:00 AM

Genma Saotome, on 21 December 2011 - 11:22 AM, said:

At a minimum weather should be something that can be set (or changed) after you pick the activity but before it starts (to provide variety to a favorite activity).

Good point, Genma.

#6 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:01 AM

Would be awesome to have intermittent rain or snow on a route. And/or varying intensities.

#7 User is offline   CGW121 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:11 AM

Noisemaker, on 22 December 2011 - 10:01 AM, said:

Would be awesome to have intermittent rain or snow on a route. And/or varying intensities.

That's why I was thinking about triggers in an activity. It would increase or decrease a weather element.

#8 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:40 AM

Well that's an interesting idea. I had been thinking of some sort of 24 hour event list but your idea of using the activity file makes more sense to me. I would think all precipitation and extent of cloud cover could be handled very easily as activity events.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users