Elvas Tower: Electric Locomotives - Prototype Practice Question - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Electric Locomotives - Prototype Practice Question How does the ameter behave in an unpowered unit? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:24 AM

In developing physics behavior for OpenRails a question has come up. Consider a train with an electric locomotive on one end, and an unpowered unit with a driver's position at the other end.

My questions are regarding the ampmeter in the unpowered driver position.

1. Would there be an ameter in the driver's position of an unpowered car?
2. Does that ameter show the current draw of the powered unit - I assume transmitted through the MU connections?
3. If there is more than one powered unit in the train, would the ameter show only the current draw of one of them, or all combined?

I posted this as well over at trainsim.com to see if anyone might know. Any input would be helpful.

#2 User is offline   Matej Pacha 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:33 PM

I would like to say that if the locomotive is old-generation, there is usually no information about currents/voltages from other locomotives in a train. This information comes with digital controlled or digital interface equipped locomotives and usually you are able to display anything you want from any locomotive. But I think we are far away from this feature now.

#3 Inactive_TonDutch_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:33 PM

I was curious about this and asked a Dutch traindriver. In old emu (mat 64) he could only see the current of the front motor set. In the new VIRM, which is computer controlled he could not even see the actual current. He could only request a percentage. Then he had to leave again.

Funny how a sim leads to questions about real trains.

Thinking about it, I guessed watching the current is more to prevent the motors from taking to much current then to prevent the overheadwires to overload. And if one motor is in problems, they are all in problems.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users